1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spare parts - what do you usually do with them ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KISSbestfan, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Hello !

I always wondered if its just me, or more people have that "spare part" bug. I mean:

Everytime I buy a bass or a normal guitar, and I'm up for some changes, I never throw away the old parts. I already managed to have a small collection of used parts, from old guitars, like a strat pearl pickguard (changed for tortoise), I'll now use as a template for making custom strat pickguards. Sometimes the included parts werent bad, I just had some other concept for the bass - like my Defil Lotos, with installed Hofner pickup. I replaced it, because I wanted to make something more like a P-bass.

Everytime someone has some old junk, that doesnt need anymore, I always say "I'll keep it man". Last time I got some electronics, and a set of tuners, exactly same as there:
    The thing was, that one of them turned crooked, and it was unable to roll, but I think I can repair that. And thats is a good news for me, because even chinese made tuners are expensive here (at least 20$ for used ones). I also get a nice bridge, from the same bass, I'll also install in Lotos.

At least I just like to follow the auction portals (like ebay), to seek for some spare parts. For example I managed to buy a nice oldschool bass single coil, just for approx 10$, and a single tuner just for approx 1$, while new one costs approx 6$. It may not look like big prices, but for now I cant afford buying expensive stuff, because I'm unemployed, and dont want to take down my hobby. Also it may seem ridiculous, to buy one bass tuner, but to me its better to have one, than none - a month ago my friend needed a tuner, because one of his got crushed, and so it was perfect - he could spend rest of his money for a beer.

I also believe that one day, I'll have that much spare parts to make a bass guitar, just using them. I'll surely like this bass much, because I'm trying not to spend much on them.

So, I'd say that every spare part will have some usage. Thats why I never understand people who just throw away old parts, because they dont need them anymore (and I dont mean those, who wants to sell them later of course). Anyone with similiar bug ?

2. Oh definitely. I have a bin FULL of old bridges, tuners, ferrules, and every other part you can imagine.

I never throw out old parts. I've actually got enough parts in the bin to build my next bass without having to buy anything!!

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Always keep spare parts unless they're useless/non-functional.

You'll find out that they're rare and valuable the day after you throw them out, guaranteed! :)

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    This pile-o-parts:

Frankenbass.

became this:
    Frankenbass-1.

5. This looks great ! Is it mahogany body ?

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Ditto a sack full of bridges, pickups, tuners, pickguards and screws. Anything you can swap out, and the originals are kept (and sometime even labeled).

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Man I have so much stuff I try to give it away if someone here needs something.

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Nice job...:)

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Not sure about the body wood... but it's HEAVY! Lots of sounds from it, though.

As you can see, whoever built this body swiss-cheesed the core layer to lighten it up a bit. I didn't realize it until I added a forearm contour... "what the heck are these HOLES doing here?"

10. My parts bag(s), full of stuff that I see on the 'bay with no immediate use for them but too cheap and good to let them pass, or belonging to something I've always fancied putting together. Tuners that are full size, mini, black, chrome, treble and bass sides; pickups of all descriptions. It can take years, but finally everything comes together and a major upgrade happens for little immediate cost.

I can understand people thinking it's pointless and timewasting but, to me, replacement parts always seem to sound or work better when they're a steal.