Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sparkle drive issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Aug 12, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have had a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive for 6 months or so and find that the switch is not super reliable. Sometimes when I stomp it, I get nothing, sometimes a puny little signal, other times everything is fine.
    I also noticed at last weeks gig that I had no line noise until I turned the pedal on the first time. After turning it on, I had very noticable noise even with the effect off. Enough so that I actually removed it from the chain between sets.

Is this on par with many others' experiences? I like the pedal in as much as the tone that I can get from it & the control that it offers. I don't know if I just got a bad pedal or if this is common. Different pedals have different 'quirks' and such so I wanted some feedback before taking any action.

Thanks.

OH, one other question as long as I have the mic:
    If I decide to replace this pedal, what would you recommend considering the fact that I really do like this specific effect and it's control options (the 'blend' knob is great especially). I would not be looking for a different type of Overdrive, distortion, what have you, just a different pedal.

2. looks to be defective. you shouls send it in to voodoo labs and have them honor your warranty.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    definitely not usual, you need to get it repaired

as to a replacement, I can't think of another tubescreamer clone with blend in that same price range.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But maybe you can find someone who will mod a tubescreamer to add a blend to bring you to that price since thats what it basically is.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    When I was trying Sparkle Drives, two of the four in stock were OOC. When I was looking up the HC reviews, there was a mention of faulty footswitches. This was what made me decide against getting it. I love the way it sounds though. And of course, the clean and dirty layering makes it real flexible.

They are $99 at my local GC BTW. Great price :)

6. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    nope,
    mine's find