Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPB-2 Hot - Does is need a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Adam Harzuf, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

Nov 16, 2004
    Israel
    Hey guys
    I've decided to give a shot to the Hot SPB-2 for an old Peavey Fury USA model I got for free from a friend.

I would like to match new electronics (I'ts hard for me to believe they are to good in there) for it.
    Does it require a pre-amp?
    I'm cool with passive sound, and I prefer passive because I'm on a budget.

Active or passive, I would like to ask for your suggestion for the electronics I'm about to install (first timer).

I also seen a shielding mod for all basses in here to reduce the noise and improve quality - but I've lost it. Please link me, if you have it.

I would rather buy both the SPB-2 and the electronics in the same place. I live in Israel and don't want to pay for 2 international deliveries.

Thanks
    Adam

2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

It's a passive pickup and you should just try putting it in before spending any unnecessary money on parts that may be just fine.

Shielding is always good though!

3. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yep, it has plenty of output and is designed for passive applications . Lots of good bottom end too ...

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No need for a preamp at all. It has plenty of output, and I've been very happy with one for the past few months. Part of the appeal of the P-bass is its simplicity -- minimal knob twiddling, so you can focus on using your technique for tone. A preamp would ruin the minimalistic beauty.

That said, if you go with a pre, make sure it's a three band, preferably with a parametric midrange. The SPB-2 is heavy on the low mids like most P-basses, so it could be useful to be able to manipulate those based on the room, the material, etc. But I'd keep it passive all the way.

5. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i have an SPB-3 in a bass that i made. very PHAT pup! full on the low end and very boomy!

i like it and will probably install it in my next bass which will be even better. Duncan hardly makes anything bad

6. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    as for the preamps:
    the most common stuff are Seymour Duncan Tone Circuits, Aguilar and Bartolinis!

and believe me, all three of them rock! if u can go for the more extreme stuff like Sadowsky, John East's Retros - go for them but i doubt ur budget will let you do that. u will be paying at least $300 for one of those including taxes/shipping etc etc

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    It won't need an on board pre-, however you do need a -pre before an amp such as a power amp. A 'bass' amp already has a preamp before the power amp section.
    Check the sticky's in this section for shielding info.

8. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    I don't know if this is the one you were thinking of, but I think this shielding lesson is terrific, and even though it uses a g****r, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to put it to good use on your bass. There is a lot of other good info on this site too:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

9. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

Nov 16, 2004
    Israel
    I still would like to redo the electronics over there, at least the pots.

My preamp is a computer with a Presonus Firepod (low latency).
    I'll use paragraphic EQ and maybe other processors in Ableton's Live.

BTW, should I connect the bass with such a hot passive pup to the mic input or line input?