~speaker addition question~

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajota_di, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ajota_di

ajota_di

Dec 5, 2009
    Chicago
    Hey everyone!

Quick question about speakers:

I'm looking into purchasing the Acoustic 260, a mini-stack. I'm doing so mainly because I NEED an amp, I'm poor, and it's gotten great reviews...

ONE THING: could you add another 10" speaker to the bottom half of the cab? or is that just out of the question? I mean, it certainly has enough room (or so it seems)...
    Here's the GC page: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-260-100W-1x10-Bass-Mini-Stack-105491526-i1483156.gc

but for those of you who are too lazy to click the link (guilty :p ), here are the specs:

* Power: 100 Watt Compact Bass Head
    * EQ: 3-Band, High, Mid, Low
    * Inputs: Dual (Passive and Active), Aux/MP3
    * Speaker: 1 X 10" in a Custom-Design Ported Bass Cabinet
    * Inputs: Aux/MP3 Input
    * Outputs: Headphone
    * Head Dimensions: H5.0" x W 12.0" x D8.5"
    * Head Weight: 8 lbs.
    * Cabinet Dimensions: H24.4" x W 13.0" x D11.8"
    * Cabinet Weight: 36.2 lb.

[​IMG]

could I put another 10" in? how much would something like that cost in time and cash? I'm willing to put a total of around $375 into this project... I do still need to get a preamp and some studio monitors... so let's keep it cheap!

Thanks a bunch!
    -AJ

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

No, because the cabinet is designed around the speaker it has. Dropping in a second will completely change the way it works, probably for the worse.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Stuffing as many drivers as possible into a cab doesn't make it sound better, it makes it sound worse. The number one failing of commercial cabs is that they're too small for the drivers they contain.

AstroSonic likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021