1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker replacement recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by speakheavy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. speakheavy

speakheavy

Oct 17, 2014
    Hello, I have a 4 x 10 with stock Peavey speakers, how would replacing all 4 with these be for an idea?
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Also have a 1 x 15, I would throw this in there
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Both cabs are ported and I'm tuned to E0 (20 Hz) so I figure the pro 10 LFs would help with the low frequencies, also the fact that these speakers are more powerful and a higher quality than the current stock peavey's

Thanls :D

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Are the current drivers working as they should? Any given driver needs a cabinet designed especially for it to realize its design potential. Gather more info about the new drivers, especially what cabinet volume and port dimensions they require, and compare that to what your cabinets offer.

If you find they are a near match, and go for it, I'd bet you will still only see limited improvement (just guessing, actually). Wouldn't it be more effective to find a cabinet/driver combination designed to do what you want from the start, rather than just quasi-randomly throwing money at the problem in hopes of hitting a solution by luck?

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer...well OK, maybe little Bobby Buzzkill...but how much would the drivers cost? Have you considered adding that amount to how much could you raise by the sale of the peavey cabs toward say an Ampeg 610 HLF or a pair of Mesa PH115s?

Lest we forget, there is this if you want lows: Bill Fitzmaurice Design DIY Kits | Speaker Hardware
    Or heaven forfend, this: fEARful Parts, fEARful 1515/66 Precut Flat Pack | Speaker Hardware

Watch that short build vid. Not much harder than swapping 6 drivers, right? :cool:
    Then there are the authorized builders...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    speakheavy likes this.
  3. What he said ^. The cab was not made for those speakers so you might end up with a weaker sound even if it is louder. ?
    Put your money into a cab that will do what you want. :bassist: That will always be your weakest link.
    Now be ready for a lot of other people answering your question saying basically the same thing, with slightly different words.
    Or just do it. Good luck.

4. speakheavy

speakheavy

Oct 17, 2014

Yea I'm just gonna go with a fearful after being recommedend so many times it seems like the best option, I'm just not sure what smaller drivers to get, the 6's and tweeter because I don't know much about those, I'm going to be pushing 1100 watts max out of it and I want to get drivers that can take that. Also I have no idea how to install / wire a crossover

5. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam

With that E0 you need extension down to the 2nd harmonic(41hz). IMO that's pretty low for a basscab and it won't be easy to get the -3dB point down to 41hz.... If you would want to use the Kappa pro-10LF I can assure you that you will not be able to get the bass extension down to -3dB at 41hz. AFAIK there's no 10" PA/musical instrument driver that can achieve that.

If you want to go that low I would recommend a dedicated active sub-woofer to handle the lowest octave(40-80hz) and use a highpass filter on the 410 to cut-off anything below approx 100hz.

speakheavy likes this.
  6. speakheavy

speakheavy

Oct 17, 2014
    Do you know about mid-range drivers / a tweeter that I could throw in the 1515/66 I can eventually build?
    I'd like to use the 15's I posted I'm just not sure about the 6's or horn, obviously its impossible for them to hit that low thats what the 15's and port are for but I'm just not sure what to go with for power handling for the hi-fi and mid drivers

7. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    For the mid there are several options but you can check the fearful 1515/66, tried 'n tested by several TB members.

Why do you want to use the Omega Pro 15A? I would definitely use the 3015LF. Basically you would want to build a fearful 1515/66 but with a slightly lower tuning to get that E0 to sound solid.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. You need to use the specified drivers for the cab.

Using whatever 15 you may like will change the results of the cab.

Remember, as already stated, the cab is designed around the chosen speakers.

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You can get a kit. The kit can include pre-built crossovers and all drivers, wire, glue, paint, even clamps. You must use the crossovers and drivers that the designer has spec'd for the cabinet. That is the whole point. It is a system that works together. About the tweeter, you can skip it to save money. Sounds like sparkling highs are not your thing.

I might add that Bill Fitzmaurice has sub kits for cabinet/driver systems that are designed for extreme lows. Those are also on the speaker hardware website. I am not sure that is what you want, but the BFM subs might give you a fighting chance to reproduce more of your E0.

...assuming you are playing for an audience of elephants and whales, who like all that subsonic Dub stuff. ;)

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're worried about the power handling of the small drivers, don't be. They don't have to handle the power of the woofers because there is not as much energy in our signal up there as there is down low.

The Fearful is a good option. The plans have an optional port shelf extension for lower tuning.

Adding a real subwoofer to replace your current 15 is another good option.

You must have really thick strings. ;)

mbelue likes this.
  11. speakheavy

speakheavy

Oct 17, 2014
    The 3015LF peaks at 900 watts and I have the potential to push 1100.

12. So.............

It will still do more for you then building a 1X15/4X10 rig.

13. speakheavy

speakheavy

Oct 17, 2014
    I'm saying I don't want to blow them, my 1 x 15 has a woofer that peaks at 1000w and I've already slightly damaged the voil coil, I stopped soon enough that I didn't effect how it sounded or anything, so I can only imagine how easy it would be to destroy woofers that peak at 100 watts less

14. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The cabinet, midriver, and crossover system matter. The power spec you have is fine.

Remember, you will not be sending 1100 watts to your cabinet(s) all time. If you want more, build a pair of 15/6s—or a 15/6 + 15sub, or build a 15/15/66 and be done it you have a big vehicle.

Also, how much of the lower fundamentals are you wanting to reproduce? I am getting the feeling you haven't paid much attention to this.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Don't pay much attention to any speaker that claims 1000 watts that comes in a commercial consumer-level cabinet. For ~1000 watts, you are talking about a professional subwoofer in a carefully designed and built enclosure. FEARful and BFM cabs are more along those lines.

speakheavy and Bass_Pounder like this.
  16. speakheavy

speakheavy

Oct 17, 2014
    I'm just looking to bring out the low E0 as much as I can BUT still have mid and hi capabilities, I like super heavy bassy tone but not to the point where you can't decipher notes and its just complete mud.
    For now I rely on my 410 for that but I feel a fearful can do a lot better with tone
    just the last thing I want to do is blow a driver