Speakon cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Mar 11, 2004.

1. GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    In another thread I was asking whether mono bridging my SVT 810 into my SVT-4 would be ok. Yes, was the answer that I got. I haven't received the head yet, but as I look at the manual it seems I can only do this setup via a Speakon cable and not a 1/4" Is this true? If so, is this due to the massive amounts of power involved that a 1/4" can't handle?

How much and what brand should I be looking at for this cable? What about my options of Speakon to 1/4", Speakon to Speakon etc

*edit* Should my brand new head come with Speakon cables?
  2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    One of the TalkBass sponsors makes cables...they'll get just what you need at a good price:

In part, the speakon is good for high power levels. The speakon jack is also a good way to bridge your two power amps correctly, much better than the old banana jacks.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bridging sometimes requires the Speakon to be wired differently. Check the Ampeg manual to see if this is the case.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. Unless you bought a package, they do not know what you are connecting to and how much length you need. Just like you generally don't get an instrument cable with a bass (unless the store throws one in).
  5. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    My SVT-4 PRO came with a Speakon to 1/4" cable.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool! I stand corrected. What length?
  7. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Most bridged cables are wired differently than standard cables, with speakons or not. 1+,1- is the regular way with Speakons that duplicate the hook-ups with 1/4" plugs. Bridging involves using one channel for the + side and the other for the - side. Your manual should tell you the type of cable you need.
  8. GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Just picked up my head today, came with the Speakon to 1/4". I'm glad about that :D This is a thick gauge wire too, not like typical 1/4" cables. Thanks for the help.