Spector Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by como_kenyatta, Oct 13, 2003.

1. como_kenyatta

Sep 2, 2003
    I've got a 5-string Czek Spector. As of late, some minor buzzes are causing me aggravation. The action is really high...not too bad, but a little higher than I'd like...but if I lower it, I get this real quiet buzz, almost a fretless-like tone, ALL the way up the neck on the A-string, D-string, and sometimes the C-string (it's tuned E-C). The neck is SLIGHTLY bowed away from me (I'm going to fix that soon), but I can't figure out how to get rid of the buzz. The only thing that has worked is raising the srtings, but I don't want the action higher. Help!
  2. If I were you, I'd bring it to an expert and have it set up. For about $35 it's worth it to have somebody that REALLY knows what they are doing adjust the truss rod and the bridge! That bridge is ESPECIALLY tricky to get the intonation right! (I know, I have one!)

Good luck!
    --joe http://www.pieceofcandi.com/
  3. I agree with snoopyjc. Plus it seems you are having problems already. Let a tech get it where it should be first!

Good Luck!

4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like it could be a good starting point, but it sounds like there's a lot more going on.

It could be that the neck isn't properly adjusted. It could the be frets are not leveled properly. Or, in the most expensive category, it could be the fretboard isn't totally flat.

I recently had major work done (by Lakland) on my Spector. They had to pull the frets and re-plane the fretboard. The action is SOOOOOO much lower now than it was before, AND I get LESS buzzing than I ever did before!!! But, while I got great results from this operation, it's very expensive and may not be the best solution.

Take it to a reputable luthier for a professional opinion. That's your best bet.;)