Spector Legend 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akimbo, Nov 9, 2004.

1. akimbo

Nov 5, 2004
    Anyone have any experience with this particular bass?
  2. akimbo

Nov 5, 2004
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I believe there are already a couple threads dealing with the Legend, but I will comment anyway.

I was just in guitar center the other day and I played every legend that they had out. From what I noticed, the consistency of build quality has gone down a tiny bit from the Q series in some areas. The 4 stringers I played had perfect fret dressing, very tight neck joints, high quality tops, and a very solid sound. The 5's for some odd reason had several rough frets that needed to be filed down, and the output from the new J style neck pickup was somewhat weak compared to the humbucker that used tobe in teh neck position on the Q series. The B was not floppy, and quite respectable for the price. The bubinga legend I played was quite different however- the frets were excellent, the body was a little bit lighter than typical spector, the tone was fuller, and the overall construction seem a bit nicer. I was very impressed with the Bubinga body Legend.

I am a huge Spector fan and owner, and would say that you you probably will not be disappointed with the legend, but I would definately advise you to play one first, especially since the consistency seems to have slipped a bit.

BTW I played them through an Ampeg amp and stack and an SWR amp and stack.