1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector NS2, growl?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ami_M, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Ami_M

Ami_M

Aug 13, 2009
    I saw a 1983 spector NS2 for sale at a local listing for $1200. This is the spec the guy posted:
    neck : quartersawn maple
    fretboard : brazilian rosewood with mother of pearl inlay
    body : bubinga or walnut (not sure)
    pickup : EMG P-J
    electronic : spector tonepump
    bridge : leo quan baddass I

I've hunted around the net for a review of the tone, but apart from "NICE!" "AMAZING" and general cry for awesomeness, I couldn't find any description of the sound.

So if anyone has a hands on experience with these, I'd really appreciate it (and whether it's worth the price tag). But most important of all, does it GROWL? :cool:

Edit: pics I've pilfered:
    http://img88.imageshack.us/i/dsc02388.jpg/
    http://img44.imageshack.us/i/dsc02389lyp.jpg/
    http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8238/dsc02391z.th.jpg
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1972/dsc02394yyo.th.jpg

2. Body is maple and this thing sure is worth more than 1200 USD.

3. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Well, if it really is a 1983, it doesn't have the Tonepump preamp.

What's the serial number? That'll tell you the year for sure.

It looks refinished to me. I could be wrong.

4. Ami_M

Ami_M

Aug 13, 2009
    According to the seller, the SN is 667.

5. Man,I love those basses!!

6. MutronIII

MutronIII

Mar 13, 2002
    plenty of growl. Very modern, very eighties sounding. Think mindcrime era Queensryche, White Wedding, late era live police, and Uplift Mofo\Mothers Milk Flea.

7. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    PLENTY OF GROWL if you so desire

8. Ami_M

Ami_M

Aug 13, 2009
    Yes, I so desire the GROWL!

Curiously, how does the growl compare to say, a warwick?

9. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Since its walnut wings instead of maple, most likely a Hazlab pre instead of Tonepump and uses the lighter badass bridge, it won't growl as brightly as the all maple basses in the 80's and certainly not a much as the current basses with the Tonepump.

Still, nice bass.

I'd say the Wick's have a different growl. If you play current metal, I'd say a Wick or a newer Spector would have a closer tone to an older Spector. Depending on your amp and effects though, you could dial that in.

10. Different shades of growl. In a Metal context you could compare the tone of the NS2, which is well represented in Queensryche's Empire or Alice in Chains' Dirt to the tone of a Warwick Thumb which is really pronounced on Mudvayne's LD50. If you don't follow the heavy stuff then feel free disregard this info :D For twelve hunge, I'd be so all over that even though I'm not a fan of woodgrain, by and large.

11. Great description. Spector growl would be more in the high mids when the warwick growl is more in the low mids. Both are equally present in the mix and does the same job, just differently.

12. Ami_M

Ami_M

Aug 13, 2009
    Metal? Seems like I'll have to disregard that info, I only play jazz and listen to mellower songs ;) I just have a really bad GAS for some growling right now, although my Fender j bass provides enough of it - with a pick - but it's not enough. Though I'll check out those songs for reference. But from the the posts (much thanks for the replies, btw), the warwick/newer spector seems to be much more in my alley. I'm into the dark, low mid growl. I'll still check the item out just because, though.

Though yes, the finish is a bit lack luster :(

13. No harm ;) If you're familiar with Graham Maby from Joe Jackson's band, that would be a good point of reference as well. Check out some live YouTube clips of him when you can.

14. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    The Wick will get you there quicker.

Did I just recommend a 'wick??:p

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well then, one of the best tones I ever heard was Doug Wimbish and his NS-2 backing Carly Simon in concert.
    Don't forget Sting played one as well.

16. Ami_M

Ami_M

Aug 13, 2009
    Although I am quite disheartened to know that the growl isn't really what I'm looking for, I wonder if this can be remedied by adding a different pre-amp or modding it to 18v. I think the emg p/j should stay though, I'm an absolute fan of emgs. But if somehow replacing them with something else like nordstrand would be better, I'm totally on to it. Does string choice play into the equation as well? I'm currently using DR black beauties .045.

I should be able to test the item tomorrow or in two days, so in the mean time I'd like to know how I can... turn it into THE GROWL OF A THOUSAND CHEETAHS. YARR.

I really like what I'm hearing from the net, so if all goes well, this should be my main axe... if I could get it to growl. Recommendations and advice, anyone?

Also, how would describe the tone? Dark and warm or bright and trebley?

17. definitely bright but not that trebley if you know what I mean. If you like growl, the Spector will do the job real good.

18. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'd start flat. Then, try and dial in some of the "upper mids" everyone is talkin about. If that didn't work, I'd try to dial in some of the "lower mids" you think you're lookin for.

19. MutronIII

MutronIII

Mar 13, 2002
    I know the EMG BTS circuit will take 18v, not sure about the HAZ pre. You might want to contact Spector. They have a rep for really great CS.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    First of all, growl is a term that describes nothing. That's a collector bass, not something to mod.