Spector Performance 4!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Okay, I went to Guitar Center yesterday, and my girlfriend and I got hooked on two basses. Me, a fretless 'wick Corvette ($899). Her, a Spector Performance 4. ($399) My question, do any of you know much about these basses or have had any experiance with them?

I went to Spectorbass.com and found out that its a passive basswood body that carries EMG SSD humbuckers. all black hardware, and the thing must only weight 7 pounds, making it nice and light around my old lady's shoulders. Also has a nice compact NS body style, so it doesn't make her look like a midget like my Peavey does :).

Well, anxiously awaiting feedback from you all,
  2. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I just got one of those Spector Performers myself on Memorial Day. She's got a beautiful transparent red finish which I'm in love with now. I snagged her for $180 during Guitar Center's sale. :hyper: She plays beautifully, really light, but knowing what I got her for, I don't think you're going to want to plug $400 down on her. Hell, I've seen her go for $350 online. She's a good bass, but not worth the $400 they're asking for. :rollno:
  3. Appreciate the input, anyone know where I can find one for a cheaper price? Besides the 'bay as that's where I'm looking as of this very moment :).

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    The performers are great basses. I have one before they went bass wood and all black hardware and I love it.
  5. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

The Performer that you're looking at is probably a different bass than the one that was purchased for $180 at the GC sale.
    The new ones have black hardware, and the classic Spector NS body shape, where the older chrome hardware Performers had the "NS2000" shape, which is slightly different. The new Performers look great and I'd say they're worth a bit more simply because they're a new model.
    However, everyone has an opinion, and the above is only mine.....however right it may be.... :D
  6. Okay, I found out that there are TWO differant Performers out there. The new body style is in the neautifuly sculpted NS shape, has black hardware, and is made of "bass wood." The past Performers were Alder, and had chrome hardware.

Right now, I have found none on the 'bay, but have found them at Sam Ash for $380. Only a $20 diff from GC, I guess the GC gig bad costs 20, huh?

I'm planning a trip to Sam Ash on East Colonial Drive sometime later this week, or next. Looking to try out a few more Spector's as well has a few more Warwicks. Who the hell says you can't be a fan of both!? I am!
  7. Yeah, if it's the older model alder body Performer, jump on that bad boy!

I tried out three of the newer basswood bodied types.........and it just made me think of High school shop class. Don't get me wrong, I love the new bridge, and the pickup positioning is cool...........but the body just didn't feel too sturdy to me.

Maybe it's me but there's something about a dry, unfinished neck that screams cheap.

The older model just felt great. Everything about it was right. If I ever see another one appear, I may just have to grab it.

Jus' my opinion tho'