Spector Q4 Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSully72, Jul 6, 2004.

1. RSully72

May 31, 2004
    I wanted to take a second to thank everybody who replied to my earlier thread about picking out a bass for a newbie.

I have been looking for a bass to start on, and had all but decided to go with an Essex P-Bass. I had set a budget on the bass and amp at around $325 or so. Then my world came crashing down around me. It all started like this......

I was walking through GC today looking for a practice amp to hopefully pair with my Essex I'm ordering, and a really gorgeous looking quilted amberburst 4-string bass caught my eye. It was kinda calling to me...if that makes any sense. Just being curious, I decided to take a closer look. You know...drool a bit, look down the road a year or so....that kinda thing. It had the burst/quilt finish with black hardware - for some reason I really dig that color combo. I thought I had seen a bass similar somehwere before (maybe on these forums). After looking closely I saw it was a Spector Q4 Pro. I had seen a couple of these on closeout a couple months ago on MF and other places but wasn't ready to buy at the time. Plus even the $400 or so clearance price was just plain and simple out of my budget. I decided to pick it up and play with it a bit...you know, just for fun. Man, it felt great just holding it!
    Although I'm a noob, and not really sure what to look for, I gave the bass a once-over - checked the frets, the balance, the finish, the neckjoint. It seemed in great shape (ast least to my untrained eye). It was either brand-new or the best-looking used insturment I've seen. So I asked the sales guy about it. He said that it was on clearance and that they had one that was hiding in the back of the wherehouse that they didn't realize they still had. Apparantly they were making room for a new series coming out. He said he had just taken it out of the box and put it on display last night before closing. Not that I believe everything a salesman tells me (from being in sales myself for over 10 years ;) ) but he seemed like a decent guy, and it really looked brand-spankin' new...not even any fingerprints or scuff makrs.
    So I pick up the price tag and $249 is what was staring back at me. Regardless of the fact that I still think I can hear the bass calling to me from about 30 miles away - all sad sounding because left it at the store. :p
    Now...like I said before...I'm new here and I may be missing something...but this seems like a good price to me. Now I'm considering cancelling the Essex and spending a lot less than I was going to on an amp, and jumping on this. The guy at GC is holding it for me until tomorrow. What do you guys think? Is this really a good deal or am I missing something? Any info would be really helpful, and I don't have a ton of time to mull it over since this is their last one.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hehehe....I posted a thread about a Spector Rebop, wondering if it was a good deal as well. I don't have alot of time to think about my deal either.

$250 for a brand new Q4-Pro is definitely a good deal. The salesguy is correct about making room for a new line of Spector basses. They are called the Legend Series, and will be out anytime now I believe. So, he wasn't BSing you to sell it. The reason I found my Rebop so cheap is because of the new Legend's coming out.

The only thing I worry about is if the Rebop will hold it's value. Same with the Q4 you are looking at. Then again, if you buy a bass because you like it, and plan on keeping it, then the resale value may not be a big deal to you.

Spector makes good basses, even in Korea. $250 for a brand new one is a good deal you will probably end up regretting if you pass on it. Buy it, I'm gonna buy my new Rebop tomorrow!!!

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'm getting a Legend 5-string...! But I'm gonna import it from the US - they're not available here in the UK yet (Sound Control aren't the best distributor ever, unfortunately).

Russ :bassist:
  4. 5 minutes ago, I was looking at the Q5 and Q6 basses (again!), and I consider selling my Warwick corvette and buy one of these to use as a metal bass (and my stingray for rock, funk,...). I thought that I could later add some active EMG's to it (as I only have the money from the corvette, which isn't even sold yet). It will also be my first experience with 5ers, or even 6ers.
    But the problem is, that here in belgium, I have never seen a Spector bass in a store, so it's a bit risky, buying something you haven't tryd.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, I highly recommend against doing that.

However, I'll sell you my Spector Q5 if you decide to go for it anyway. :)

6. $249 on a Q4 Pro? That is a great deal compared to what they cost at this Guitar Center. I believe the price tag on the Amberburst I saw was somewhere around $550. The bottom of the barrel Performance series, I know, had a price tag of $349 here, I played one. After playing it, I thought the Performance series was a decent deal at $349.

The playability of the Performance series was't bad. Decent string spacing, J'ish neck, typical cheap but pretty finish, cheaper materials, but solid constructed. Reminded me a lot of my Peavey. Only downside in this category, for me, was the weight. This thing was the lightest bass I ever picked up! Some people might really like that, but personally, I like at least a medium weight bass. I have a nasty habit of thinking if it feels like a toy it will sound like one.

Not so though. It had a great tone for the price range. Again, reminiscent of my Peavey here. Good output from the pickups, no buzz or humm, and what I've come to associate with what people calll the modern tone. Very even overall, when set flat, but from there you can shape it to mock a lot of famous tones, only it sounds a little more electric/synthetic. Not bad though, not bad at all, and it more than justified the $349 tag.

I don't know, I haven't played an Essex, but I would go with the Q4. That sounds like a much better deal, at least, money wise, to me. A lot of guys with more experience are happy with the Essex tone, but a lot rave about the Spectors as well. Biggest factors for me then, if I were you, would be that I had a chance to play the Spector before buying it, and I was getting an unbeatable deal on it, cash wise.
  7. RSully72

May 31, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure the Essex is a really nice bass and a great value...that is evident from how many people here think very highly of them. However, the Q4 seems like such a great deal that I think I'm going to have to go with that one. Not to mention that I almost fell in love the minute I saw it. To me, it looked and played so sweet that I just can't pass it up. I'm gonna pick up the Spector first thing in the morning, and oficially become part of the "Spector Family"....almost seemd like a cult. :p

8. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Welcome to the family Sully! :bassist:

First thing you have to do is admit your new addiction.....i.e. "Hello, my name is Sully.... and I'm a SPECTORHOLIC" :D
  9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    good choice...go Spector!!!
  10. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i'd definately get this bass over the other one-- you're probably going to have to upgrade your amp to start play shows (if the combined budget is under $325), pretty much regardless of what you buy. you dont have to get a new bass when you start playing in a band or what have you. i'd say go for this and get a dinky combo, especially you have a deal.
  11. is the eye candy! Pics? :D
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great choice. Thats an awesome first bass, it outplays bassses that cost twice as much. I have a Q5 and i dont see a need to buy another 5 string. I think the only reason i would ever sell it is if i gave up playing a 5 string entirely, and wanted a new 4 string. Its a great bass.
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    While I don't own one of these, I've picked them up and played on them in music stores and I believe the low priced SDpectors are about the best deal I've seen. They look good, sound good, and are very playable. I can't help wondering what the catch is, but I've not spotted it. Even at their regular undiscounted/sales prices, these are a good deal. While it also appears that Essex/Brice etc. offer very good deals on budget basses, I'd be really surprised if they were on the same level as what you found with the Spector.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Essex/Brice arent near the quality ive experienced on the Professional level spectors. I know my essex doesnt come close, and from what ive heard of Brice, they are great basses for the price, but i feel you dont experience any of the setbacks that occur on essex/brice on a Spector.
  15. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I wouldn't really worry about it holding it's value. If you dig it, play it. When you grow out of it, don't expect to make money on it when you sell it. That's true for most gear. I really dig mine, and just upgrade certain things to make it my own sound. I do this with all of my instruments as a matter of fact. When I can afford a US Spector, I'd just keep my Euro for a stage backup anyways.