Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yomchi247, May 9, 2005.

1. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    I own a Spector 5 string bass that I don't know what the model is, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to find this out.

It doesn't have the typical signature on the back of the headstock like I see on most other models.

Let me give you some more info, maybe someone has an idea.

I bought it used in '99 from a local music store. It's neck-thru with a 3 piece neck. Natural maple, with what I think is a rosewood fingerboard. EMG pickups. Dots for fret markers (I haven't seen any other spectors with this, so maybe a customer option?), and gold hardward (also which I haven't seen on another)

I don't have a camera or scanner to take a pic right now, so hopefully with my description someone might be able to help. If needed I could probably find a way to post a pic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Check the website, www.spectorbass.com, its a great tool for us spector owners. Luv that bass.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Maybe a professional series

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Could be an NS2A...

5. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    sounds like an ns2a

6. There was never a 5 string NS-2A offered, chances are it's Czech made bass, one of the older NS5CR basses. If you open up the control cavity cover, there may be a serial # stamped inside your control cavity.
    There was never a Natural finish option available on the Professional Series Korean NS2000 basses so I doubt that it's Korean made, unless it's a refinished bass.
    If you measure the scale length on the bass, it is probably a 34" scale, if it is 34" it is probably an older Czech NS5CR model, which had a 34" scale length and dot inlay markers.

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    You're right, I missed the 5-string part....

8. I have a Spector Rebop four string with dot inlays which i dont see on the bass site or other stores. Its a Euro made from the Czech Rebublic from what I've read on their site. Just a possibility, since they do make them for five string

9. Rebops are bolt-ons with black hardware. Gold hardware, neck-through with dots is almost certainly one if the earlier versions of the NS5CR.

Mike

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    wont it look like this?
    [​IMG]

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds to me like an NS5CR. I own one currently in BlueBurst, 34" scale and abalone look dot inlays. I also owned two before that with SSD logos on them as opposed to the newer Spector one......they were high gloss black also with 34" scale and dot inlays.

Only the current one had EMG on the pickups, the earlier ones were unbranded. My current NS5CR was bought in October '99 - so timing could be right. The Czech ones were generally the ones with gold hardware! Does it also have plastic knobs for the pots?

It also might have a statement on th eback of the headstock about being 'precision crafted in the Czech Republic.......' (or something like that!)

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It also sounds like an early Czech NS5CR to me too.
    I used to have two early ones, both came from 1995:
    Dot inlays
    Brass nut
    SSD logo
    Truss cover says Stuart Spector Design
    EMG stamped pickups, yes on both
    Serial numbers stamped in control cavity
    Crafted in Czech republic on back of headstocks
    Gold hardware/thick shaller tuners

Like mentioned above, the early SSD's were 34" not 35".

13. +1 on the NS-5CR.

Here's my NS-4CR for comparison:

[​IMG]

Headstock has the SSD logo with the "Crafted under license" stamp on the rear. The rest is as Caca de Kick says.