Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Rebop preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgartist, Apr 15, 2004.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hello all,

I am a long time reader of the forum but this is my first post. I currently own a Pedulla R2000 5 string-absolutely love it. I just purchased a Spector Rebop 5 string of Ebay. It has the original pre swapped out for the EMG circuit. Its very different from my Pedulla but I like the sound of the EMGs. I've played other Rebops and found that they are kind of noisy even though the EMG hzs are humbucking. My Rebop has the same noise. Is this noise from the pickups or the preamp? I am considering getting the "real" EMGs to upgrade.

Thanks

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like to Spector pre-amp in my Rebop5. I'm not sure what the cause of the noise is. I noticed when I jack my treble it's a little noisy so I turn it down on my bass and up a little on my head to compensate. You could go with DC40 pups or an EMG pre amp. Mods will prolly move this to pick ups anyway, have you done a search there and looked at other posts? You can see what upgrades Spector and EMG owners have done.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The treble on my neck thru Korean Spector is noisy too, even though I upgraded from EMG HZs to EMG DCs. As Ricplaya sez, turn up the treble on the amp, and cut the highs on the bass. Also, the DIP switches on the back of the EMG preamp allow you to change the knee frequency of the treble cut/boost, play around with that a little bit and see if that helps with the noise. I find the lower I set it, the less noise.

4. could be the preamp... i had a rebop 4 with the aguilar obp-1 and it was very quiet... i also had a number of other spectors with the emg-hz and they were also quiet

5. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    I have a rebop 5, and it doesnt buzz at all.