Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector ReBop question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Halidon, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Halidon

Halidon

Aug 7, 2004
    Hi,

I'm new to TalkBass, but I've been lurking around for awhile. I've only been playing for a few months, but I love it. That is....I love everything except the Squire Jazz that I've been using.
    I'm about to buy my first good bass and I've found a lot that I really like...and I'm starting to like almost all of the Spectors that I've tried. Even the entry-level Performance Series seems good for a bass in that price range.
    Anyway, a local shop has one clearance ReBop 4-string left, that they are selling for $399. I'm just wondering if this is a really good price or not. They also have a Q4 left that's about $100 cheaper than the ReBop. Is the ReBop worth the extra $100? The $399 is above my price-range, but I also don't want to let a great deal pass me by.
    Any advice from those who have played/owned ReBops or Spectors in general would be appreciated.

Halidon

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hell yes it's worth it.

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1! I'd jump on that right away if I were you. Nice bass for a great price!

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Wow, if it's new that's a GREAT DEAL! Let me know where it is if you don't want it ;)

Spector's I own: Euro-5, Euro-5 LX, Euro-4, Legend-6

Other Spector's I've played: Q5, ReBop-4, Rebop-5

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Get the ReBop!

Tom

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Heck YEAH it is worth it. There is a shop near me selling a Rebop 5 for $420....brand new.

-Mike

7. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    If it sounds good, plays good then buy it. That is about 1/2 of what they usually cost new. For comparison, I bought my ReBop 5 for $450 used w/case and I thought that was a good deal. I'd love to have a ReBop 4 as well.

GS

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If you don't buy it could you PM me where the store is? I'd buy it in a heart beat!

9. Halidon

Halidon

Aug 7, 2004
    I'm going back tonight to take another look at it. $420 for the 5-string mentioned in the above post seems like a killer deal as well.
    The 4-string that I'm looking at is brand new, right out of the box for $399. It's the Tobacco Sunburst color, and has one of the thickest bridges I've ever seen - It looks very similar to the one on their higher-end Euro/USA models.
    How are the electronics? The Spector website lists them as passive EMG. Are they the same electronics as in the Professional (Q) Series? For that matter what is the main difference between the ReBop and the Pro Series - outside of the Europe/Korean difference. Are the Euros really built that much better?

Man....I'm really leaning towards getting the ReBop. It felt soooo nice. :)

Halidon

10. Korean Spectors are great.

But Euro's are the bee's knees man.

+1 if you can grab that Rebop. Better hurry tho.. I can bet you that someone will grab it soon if you dont!

11. +502384723987

Rebops are $900+ brand new, $400...go for it!!! And if you don't like it (slim chance), you could sell it and make a few hundred bucks :D

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    +502384723988 :D That's a very good point about the resale value - Spector's hold theirs pretty well, but you could certainly make a nice profit should you not like the bass.

...but I can't see that happening. The ReBop's are killer. To my ears a nice taming of the tradition Spector high-end due to the difference in wood and construction, and I actually prefer the bolt-ons to the neck-throughs because of this.

Go for it!

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Just do it! Get that ReBop! :) :bassist:

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Buy the ReBop. Great bass, and for that money you can't beat the deal. Heck, I work at a Spector dealer, and I can't buy it for that kind of money!!!!

15. Halidon

Halidon

Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks for all the advice on the ReBop. It seems Spector has a lot of fans on this board. :)

Well I went back to the GC that was selling it, and gave it really good once-over. I just could not believe how much I loved this bass...and I couldn't find anything better in that $399 price range - I don't even think I could've found anything better at double the price. But....while I was there I also saw a brand new neck-thru Spector that they had closeout for $749. It had gold hardware and what looked like a blue flamed top. I'm not sure what model it was - it almost felt like an upgraded ReBop, and it was really nice too. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but It felt very similar to the ReBop, but a bit different - a bit better tonal variety (maybe better electronics?).
    Still trying to decide which one to get, but I'm leaning towards the ReBop, as even that is a bit over my budget, but it's such a great deal. I always used to laugh at people who fell in love with their insturments. But I'm feeling like me and the ReBop were meant to be. :)

Halidon

16. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    That was probably a Q4. Did it have have the lovely crown inlays on the fretboard or just dots? :bassist:

17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    no, no. that blue neck-through bass was a Euro-4. GC's carry 2 different Euro basses; a blue/black Euro-4 and a Black Cherry Euro-5. ALL CG's carry these exact models, trust me, I've spoken to the Spector National Product Manager (PJ Rubal) about it. That is a REALLY good deal for a Euro 4 though. If you can swing it I would get that one. You really should educate yourself on the different Spector models though so you know what the differences are. The Euro's are significantly better than the Rebop's.

http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/euro.html

18. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    In that case save that bit more and get the Euro4!! :eek: :hyper:

That is a bargain! They are the equivalent of $1800 here in the UK!! :bawl:

19. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    dittos here!

I own the Q5. Love it!

20. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    "Anyway, a local shop has one clearance ReBop 4-string left, that they are selling for $399."

I wonder what else this shop has????????