Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector selection help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Dec 13, 2004.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright so im lookin at a spector legend 4 or a ns2000 q4. any suggestions? any advantages/disavantages of the p/j pups on the legend?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The legend is a much better bass. It has a more interesting body shape (carved) and it is more ergonomic. Also the quality is just better.

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah i have not played the ns2000, i happend to stumble upon the legend 4 out of mere curiosity at a guitar shop and i was astounded by the sound of a 500 dollar bass. im pretty much sold, but where kind i find some of that money stuff...?

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Legend + pro setup = Win!
    or Legend that for some reason played better then mine(which was "setup" by the store when i bought it) = win.
    Amazing tone, and feel and quality for the price.

5. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright thanks

6. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    i played a Euro 5 and a NS2000 a few months ago. The NS was nice but the Euro was way better and I'm sure a Legend would be just as good as the Euro. I plan on buying a Legend 5 in a few months

7. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ive never really considered a 5 string...i dont know why, i just havent. any reason i should? or is it just a personal preference thing?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

The type of music you play will impact this decision. Alot of it is also personal preference. I moved to a fiver when I joined up with a rock band that was always doing drop D. Then, I got to liking the low end I got from that B string.

I am preparing to go back to a four string since I have no need for the fiver anymore.

Take a long look at the Legend. Those are some nice basses. HOWEVER....the NS2000/4 is also nice. They are neck through, and sound excellent. The Legend is a bolt-on.

-Mike

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The legend is by no means just as good as the Euro models- there is a very obvious difference, and the price reflects it. I've owned everything under the USA models :)

I like the legend series quite a bit, but from what I have played so far, the quality control hasn't been quite as consistent as on the 2000 series. (I've played a couple with sharp and unlevel frets, and gappy neck pockets, but most were very very good) Go Legend, but play it first. The bubinga model is significantly better as well- at least from the ones I have played. I was VERY impressed with bubinga 4 I played. WELL worth the $500 or so. For some reaosn teh 4 string models have seemed a bit better all around than the 5's in the legend series for some odd reason. I prefer 5's however.

10. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright, i was extremely impressed with the bubinga that i played, ill go back and play some more this weekend but i think im sold on it. thanks for the input

11. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I just picked up a legend 5 string this past weekend at a local Guitar Center. It is a pretty nice bass. I was very impressed......beautiful black cherry finish, nice feel, 3 band EQ and nice gold hardware (if you're into the gold). The only thing is, Guitar Center has them tagged for $649 which is about $100 more than you can get them on musiciansfriend.com. So, search the net for the lowest price you can find, print it out and bring it to Guitar Center. They have to beat any price you find. So, I was able to get it for $509 plus tax. And with the GC credit card, no interest for 12 months - same as cash.

12. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I have a Czech made Spector Rebop 5 for sale in St. Louis if you would be interested. Asking 550. Natural in color.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Get the Legend and drop some EMG DC series pups and a Tone Pump circuit in it and it will seriously thump. I did that with a Legend-6 and now it's on Par with my Euro's. That is probably my favorite bass for the price. A good setup will make it play even better!

14. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well i dont really have the funds to put in new pups right away, but i might eventually.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If the Rebop5 is an option, keep your eyes open at your local GC. The one near me was recently selling the Rebop5's for $510 out the door.

-Mike

16. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i dont know about 5 strings, ive never really sat down and played one other than just for kicks at a guitar shop. i play mostly funk/jazz stuff and alot of flea stuff. so would 5 string really be a good way to go?

17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    yes, you could always string it E, A, D, G, C if you don't like the low B

18. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    would i have to use a different kind of guaged string set? or just a really light set and move everything down one?

19. I had a q5 for a week, and I took it back. I really didn't like the emg-hz pickups, it just didn't work for me at all.
    As for the high c, never tried it, not sure :ninja: :hyper:

20. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    im gonna make a new thread for the string guage question.