Spector ToneDump Ultimate - with samples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mad_hungarian, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi,

This ToneDump is actually not my job as it involved stuff (drilling the body) I would surely ruin the bass with.
    The final result is a Spector Euro LX5 with Aguilar OBP-3 electronics and Seymour Duncan NYC Passive Soapbars.
    2 switches were installed for the individual pickups to switch between single coil, series and parallel modes.

Here's how it looks:
    spector_td.jpg

Here's how it sounds. (actually, it sounds much better, see below)
    I recorded directly to a PC (no DI-box, no amp), with all flat EQ's on the bass and no post-processing whatsoever (compressors, etc). I used Elixir strings about 2 gigs old so the sound doesn't have those amazing brights.
    I used the same modes for both pickups (so, either both are in single coil or both are in parallel etc).

So this is a very raw and lame quality sound but it will give you the basics.

Edit: Updated fingerstly soundclips with combinations of pickup settings. (the same as in a later post in this thread)
    (bridge pickup - neck pickup)
    single coil - single coil
    single coil - series
    single coil - parallel
    series - series
    series - single coil
    parallel - parallel
    parallel - single coil
    parallel - series

Slap
    - series: http://basszusgitar.com/slap_srs.mp3
    - parallel: http://basszusgitar.com/slap_prl.mp3
    - single coil: http://basszusgitar.com/slap_sgl.mp3

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Nice job. I actually like active EMG pickups in Spectors, but I am not a huge fan of the Tonepump pre. The Aguilar should be a nice step up. FWIW, I preferred the series setting for both the slap and fingerstyle clips. But, I can see the usefulness of having the other settings available if/when you want them.

3. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    I also liked the active EMG DC 40's but that pre-shaped, kind of compressed sound does not work for all the bands I play in. The individual notes are more percussive and defined with the new pickups.
    If there were more left handed basses in stock around here, I would not have replaced the pickups though...

Strangely, the series setting is what I use the least, even though they have a full, strong sound. I will upload some sound samples recorded with a mike, using amp and speakers, so you can see how the others also work.

4. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    So there's no drilling needed to install the Aguilar ODB-3? Hmmm, interesting...

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! That was so Un-Spector sounding! Very nice. I dig! Good job!

6. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Sorry, I meant to say OBP-3... My bad
    Drilling was only necessary for the pickup switches.
    The way this OBP-3 works with four knobs (potentiometers? I don't know the English word) is this:
    knob 1 - volume
    knob 2 - balance
    double knob 3 - bass and treble
    pull knob (2 positions) 4: push position: 400Hz, pull position 800Hz

I hope this helps. However, the OBP-3 wiring is not so straightforward, as far as I could tell...

7. Extremely cool! I'm also of "The School of Non-Traditional Spector Tones*, as my plan has been to outfit my ReBop 4 DLX EX "ZeBop", ReBop 5 DLX FM fretted and Harris Thor epoxy treated fretless Spectors with Aguilar OBP-3SK/PP preamps and Nordstrand "Big Singles" for the ultimate "SpectorJazz on Steroids" tone: the ReBop was actually Spector's idea to come up with a more Jazz Bass-like version of the classic Spector tone with the Alder/Maple body woods and bolt-on neck.

Although it's been put on hold due to economic reasons (I have the preamps and will likely have them installed soon as I actually find the EMG HZs a nice passive pickup worth using, and the pickups will likely be my next "Savings Effort") it's nice to hear the combination of the Aguilar preamp and the Seymour Duncan NYC Passive Soapbars, which have interested me greatly since they were released but haven't gotten a sample of until now. I'm still going to stay with the Big Singles as that's the "One Sound" I'm interested in having and not the ability to switch to series, paralle, etc, but it was great to finally hear what these pickups can do! Much thanks, and congrats on your absolutely unique Spector's tone!

PS: How would you describe the OBP-3 compared to the TonePump if you can imagine the pickup change taken out of the mix? I don't mind the TonePump nearly as much as other Spector players do (and would even less if I had the newer "TonePump Jr." with the ability to low the gain) but I've been spoiled by "Boost and Cut preamps" as well as the ability to work with the mids, which I find near-essential on a fretless bass.

*I'm actually Hungarian as well, so when people describe their tone as "thick" or "creamy", I describe my dream tone as "Chicken Paprikashy" :smug:

8. Very Awesome. I'd love to try something like this out myself at some point in either my 4 or 6. Even though it may be along way off I'm having a tough time deciding on the pickups to choose because Seymour-Duncan describes practically all of their pickups as "vintage voiced" which is the opposite of what I'm looking for, lol.

9. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Ian:
    The Aguilar electronics, strangely even without actually engaging any of the tone controls (all the tone controls flat) sounded more even and cleaner than than the TonePump. I highly recommend them for your Spectors for the Hungarian tone :)
    The B-string with the Aguilar sounded frightening!!!

Kwesi:
    You are right, the EMG's are definietly more modern and "shiny" than the Duncans. Now when I play (in whatever setting) I hear better the individual notes I pick; on the other side, the EMG's had more of a bass growl, a kind of presence.

10. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi,

I gave it a go and started to record some combinations of the pickup settings (parallel - single coil etc). Also rerecorded the original settings (where both pickups have the same setting) for comparison. This is just fingerstyle yet.
    I have not recorded all possible combinations yet.

Remember, these are purely flat settings, no EQ, no preamp, no nothing. (and my PC is not very advanced so the actual sound is much better)

(bridge pickup - neck pickup)
    single coil - single coil
    single coil - series
    single coil - parallel
    series - series
    series - single coil
    parallel - parallel
    parallel - single coil
    parallel - series

11. MH, thanks again for the sample - an extremely valuable asset for those of us looking to try out new preamp & pickup combinations in our Spectors! I'm going to post a link to this thread in The Spector Club thread for just that reason, as it looks like most members missed this thread and would feel much like I do about it's usefulness. The single-single clip is absolutely killer in my book, and has confirmed my desire to go in that direction in my Spectors. :D

12. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    How much did this cost? I like the results. More useable than the hoofing great sound my Euro LX 5 produces now.....its great for rock but not much else!

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Hey, looks like somebody got good use out of tonedump word huh?

Sound clips sound good.

To Top that though,you'll do it yourself next time instead....;)

14. Sounds really good. I've been thinking of replacing the pre in my Spector, but I don't really know if it's necessary. It's got some sort of EMG pre, not Tonepump. Also been thinking about getting Nordstrand Dual-Coils, but I really don't know if I want to replace my EMG pups. My bass does sound good, and I don't want to ruin a good thing.

15. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi,

Sorry, I was offline for some days, could not respond...

1. Ian:
    The Single/Single is my favorite sound too! It just needs some bass boost in certain situations (and a nice tube preamp helps, too). Otherwise this is what I mostly use.
    Also, the parallel-parallel is great for rock stuff.

2. LMCBassist:
    The preamp (which, in theory, you don't really hear as all the EQ's are flat) cost about $170-180.
    The pickups and the cost of drilling holes for switches and inserting the pickups cost about $350.
    This is mostly irrevelant however for you guys in the US, as stuff here in Hungary costs more than in the US.... :mad:

3. landry.bass:
    If you're totally satisfied with your Spector, I do not recommend replacing the pickups! I needed something more traditional for most of the bands I play in; the drastic change does not bother me.
    But I would not be happy with the current sound if my only reason to change would have been to enhance the typical Spector sound.

16. benjonesonbass

benjonesonbass

Jan 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Basses, TC Electronic Amps/ Cabinets, Dunlop Strings, GruvGear Accessories, 1964 Ears In Ear Monitors, LM Products straps
    i actually use the emg cs-tw pickups with the Spector tone pump pre in my euro 5 LX and love this combination. the cs-tw's allow switching from single to dual coils for which i use push/pull volume pots. i haven't found a sound yet that i wanted and couldn't get with this setup. i just ordered a Euro 5 LX with the same pickups but with the aguilar pre.

17. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Man, you must be really good (or my playing must suck very badly)!
    I do have tones that I cannot get with this setup. Actually, although this is my finest bass up to date I am not blown away by any of the tones I can get out of it. But then again, it takes a lot for a tone to blow my mind.
    The Lakland Daryl Jones bass definitely IS one of those tones, though...

18. enen

enen

Mar 2, 2008
    wow, its amazing, the tone as well as its versatility. For the single coil option, which coil did you choose?

19. mad_hungarian

mad_hungarian

Sep 1, 2008
    Hey man,

Sorry for the VERY late answer (about 8 months if I see correctly...) :(

There is one single coil option, and to tell you the truth, I have no idea whatsoever which coil these pickups use when halved into single coil mode. You could ask Seymour Duncan via email, as far as my experience goes they are nice and their product support is fine.

Keep on playing that bass!!!

20. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    i have the passive nyc soapbars in my spector, the neck pup uses the extreme neck coil and the bridge pup uses the extreme bridge coil, you can just touch the magnets with a screwdriver when its in sc mode to see if yours are wired the same

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021