1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector vs. Warwick for first "modern" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Apr 24, 2009.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm 38, and I've never played a bass made after 1977. (except for a G&L for a while)

I was in Sam Ash the other day and plugged in a cheapo spector just to test out an amp, and I was confused and mystified by it's non fender/gibson-ness.

I'm kind of GASsing now for a "modern" bass, to see what it's all about. Not a Lakland or Mike Lull where they put modern electronics in a vintage form, but a true "modern" bass... and I think I've narrowed it down to Warwick and Spector (the nice ones) based on cost, availability, and looks, etc...

Should I consider other makers, or are there pros / cons to warwicks and spectors. Or is it just a YMMV, fender vs. gibson style argument?

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I can't choose I have a corvette 5 and a legend 6 both amazing basses.
    my favorite two mass manufacturers.

you'd have to post a few examples of what you're looking at to choose from.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    There's lots of good stuff out there.

I tend to prefer an active HH or HS for "modern" sounds. You may look into a Lakland 44-02 or a MM Bongo.

4. I'd go with the Warwick there, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

5. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
  6. Demanu

Demanu

Apr 24, 2009
    Poland, Lublin
    which spector and which warwick? there is a LAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE difference between Legend and Euro and USA.

both basses have modern sound... I was playng on Warwick Streamer 4lx and Spector euro 4dlx-35 (both PJ) i think that spector is more bright and agressive.

and i think Spector is prettiest than Warwick :p

i would choose Spector. but i have GAS to Spector 5LX so dont listen to me ;)

7. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    Spector Euro LX

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, I tend to prefer Spector but I think that it's personal preference as well. Even though I have a preference for Spectors, I've been look for a 4-string and have been considering 2-3 Warwick models in addition to a Spector Euro, and I don't think a Warwick would be a step down in terms of quality or sound. They are just different, but both good and you won't really go wrong either way. Also, don't overlook EBMM for a good modern tone.

That said, a 4-string Spector neck-through Euro with the EMG P/J setup produces an AMAZING tone with enormous amounts of growl. My favorite bass tone for hard rock, metal, slap, really the best modern tone I've come across yet.

9. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I vote for an MM Bongo, a Warwick Thumb NT or a Spector Euro LX.

10. Gastrok

Gastrok

Oct 27, 2007
    I vote Warwick all the way. I have 3 different flavors of the Corvette and I love them all.

Corvette Standard 4-string Fretless 2006
    Corvette Standard 5-string Active 2006
    Corvette $$ Natural Ash 4-string 2008

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Both Warwick and Spector can be pretty heavy. I owned a SSD maple top five string that was an incredible bass. If I can ever get up another $3,000-$5,000 again, I would happily get another. That said, the Warwick Streamer is essentially a Spector in all but name, and it is a great bass too. If you can handle the balancing issues, a Thumb is a wonderful bass.

Finally, if you really love a Semi-Fender feel, a HH Stingray is an awesome take on the modern bass tone.

12. I think the only similarities are the body shape. I've never heard a Spector sound like a Streamer Stage II.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

---

Thanks for all the useful and insightful commentary here.

I think part of my confusion was the fact that streamer and spector have a similar body shape. I always saw those basses and just assumed "modern bass". I didn't realize they both made that shape body.

All your comments help, and I'll definitely try EBMM as well.

I'm think I'm kind of leaning towards Warwick, mainly because of more choices for body shape and the Entwhistle provenance, but the Euro spectors look pretty sweet too.

Thanks for the input.

14. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    For really modern sound, Spector is probably more "modern" of the two. Also, have you looked at Ibanez basses? Don't let their price lead you to believe they aren't quality...

15. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    You do realise that you're comparing a top of the line ($4000) HH Warwick with a mid grade ($2000) PJ Spector, right? Have you tried a comparable Spector?

My NS-5H2 has no problem with the active, modern tone that you're talking about- And then some.

16. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    I have a Spector Euro 4lx, growl and sustain for days, i´ll never sell that sucker, but i want a Streamer Stage II, they are very different animals so if you have the chance, try them out, and if you can...GET BOTH! :)

17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've never played a really nice Spector, but they sound fantastic. I'm definitely planning on a Zebrano Rebop for my next purchase. As far as instruments I've played, the Streamer Stage II is the ultimate instrument. Perfection. But, it's $4000, and I'm a college student. NOT happening anytime soon.

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do the Spector or Streamer (both 6-strings) have balancing issues?

TS, I'd say go with the Spector. Granted, I've never tried a USA NT/BO, but from the Euro series, I'd say you'd have a winner.

Plus, the neck is much more like that of the old-school basses you're used to. The new Warwicks are supposably reverting back to the old neck profile that I'm unfamiliar with, but as it stands, the '08 models that you find in stores will have the old tree-for-a-neck profile.

19. owned a Spector Legend and I loved the sound much more than the Rockbasses I tried
    then again when I got my first bass it was either a Fender Jazz or a Corvette Standard
    I ended up with the Fender

heres some more to consider:
    Ibanez SR series
    MTD Z/Kingston/Artist
    EBMM Bongo