1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Spiro stark G string with Spiro medium EAD: opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Fran Diaz, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I love the sound of my Spiro EAD but I find my G to lack a bit of the big, powerful sound that the other three strings give me. Would a stark G be a wishful choice.

For starters I put a med G with weich EAD on another bass and loved the results (I couldn't stand the weich G).

please offer your opinions/experiences.

2. Depends on the bass. The tension mismatch might annoy you. Maybe a gut G, or just let the Mittel G age?

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think it may well work, but you will have to be patient while the new string darkens, especially if you have dry skin. If your skin is more acidic, then the new string will darken quickly assuming you play a lot.

The other option is to experiment with the height of the string to see if raising it helps you get the sound you are looking for. You can do this by shimming under the G string at the bridge with a piece of folded index card. I discovered years ago that most bridges are cut for orchestral playing, so now I have my bridges cut in a way that optimizes them for pizzicato. More info here: Individual String Response - adjustable thru setup?

Levin likes this.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    How about a Superflexible G string, either the 4/4 (T-I #36) or the 3/4 (T-I #2887,2)? Both of them have about the same tension, when put on the same bass, as a Spiro 4/4 Mitt D string (T-I #S37).

There is a following of folks who, in a similar manner, use a solo Superflexible as a G string ("A" string T-I #36S) with a Spiro 4/4 weich set (T-I set S42) for the same reasons: compatible tension, a little darker sound, similar feel.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    thanks for the help guys.

How does the superflexible bow?

6. Darker than Spiros.

7. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    I have tried the Superflex G with both Spiro Weich and Mittle on two different basses. Mixing with the Mittle proves to be the most compatible. I am using that set up on my carved Upton. It bows great and the feel is very compatible with the Mittle.
    Back in the 80's I switched from Mittle to Wiechs and immediately hated the G, quickly returned to the Spiro Mittle G. It seem to work well for close to 15 years on my old Prescott. I know that sometimes goes against logic with tension difference but each bass is different, which leads us to conduct our own investigation to find what works.

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Are you using a real superflexible G or a solo A downtuned?
    What i miss in the Spiro G is the big sound that the other three strings have. Will I get that from the superflexible?

9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    This is not to be offensive but it could be a technique thing, or possibly a setup issue. Have you had someone look at your bass, or perhaps a player you respect play it?

10. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    No offense taken. ;-)
    My teacher played the bass and also found the G to be a little less powerful.
    It might be only that I'm spoilt by Charlie Haden and Neal Miner's fat GoldenSpiral G strings.
    The bass and the strings are 4 months old so I might just wait for a few months more before I change my G.

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I will record a few lines with my Zoom and will post it here so you can here it and give me your opinion about my sound and technique.

12. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Yes the real superflexable G.

13. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Consider maybe an Oliv G or better priced an Evah Pirazzi medium G if you decide to switch

14. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I hear ya... I ditched the Spiro Weich G, (puny sound AND feel- the Castrati of G strings!), and replaced it with an Evah Pirazzi Weich G. Mo' Betta.
    The Spiro Mittel (long) E/C, and Weich A & D, sound/feel great, BTW.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021