Spirocore E & A with Flexocore D & G

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jazzman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am interested in trying the Spirocore E & A with the Flexocore D & G. Does anyone here have experience with this combination?

What gauge Spirocore did you use? What gauge Flexocore? Original Flexocore or '92 Flexocore?

Disclaimer: I did a search and did not find the information I was looking for.
  2. PatrikHanson

Apr 24, 2005
    I have, it's a good combo. I switched to Spirocore E & A with Eudoxa (gut with silver winding) D & G which i like even better, but it's more expensive, two strings cost me more than a whole set of spiros and they don't last as long plus they are more sensitive. once i played outside when it rained (I was under a roof naturally) and the humidity ruined them (at least that's my guess, the winding sort of cracked or something). I always go with the regular gauge
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Bassist Edgar Meyer uses that setup I think, but uses an unusual tuning: E-B-E-B.
    I would be inclined to think the Flexocors would be unbalanced, volume wise, with Spirocores, but it depends on the bass, I guess!
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think EM plays E-B-E-A, though. Just has the low string dropped a step.
  5. That's correnct - the bottom string is orchestral gauge on an extension and the top three are solo strings. The top two are Flexocor '92, the bottom two are spiro. With the extension he can go all the way down to C for orchestral music, and most importancntly, to get that C harmonic for Bach action. I think if he plays that bass in an orchestral or chamber music context, he just reads the part and trasposes by sight. It's tough but not impossible.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I tried the D-A-D-G thing for a couple of weeks. It was kinda neat, but it makes playing the hard bop book (welcome to NYC) a real bitch with all of the boogaloo onstinatos and such -- shift city! It did enable me to end 'Misty' with a money note, however. :)
  7. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    "I am interested in trying the Spirocore E & A with the Flexocore D & G. Does anyone here have experience with this combination?"

yes: Original Flex G and D and orch. Spiro A and E. it's a great set up for doubling, pizz and arco, but if you lean one way or the other, you're likely to be less fulfilled by two of your strings, depending. great for college students studying both on one bass, tho.

now i'm more pizz minded and i've changed the Orig Flex for Superflexible, they pizz louder, play easier, sound more like Spiros, and still bow pretty decent, if you use lots of good rosin.

another up-side of this kind of set up is that to some ears, a Spirocore string never dies, so just replace your G and D every now and then, save money. good luck
  8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I'm told that this setup was very popular among symphony players ten years ago, but most people drifted away from it, seeking a better tone on E and A and (some seeking) more projection on D and G.

Spirocores -- at least on E and A -- seem to be getting a second look from a lot of symphony players now, due in part to recent quality control issues with at least one major competitor.
  9. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd recommend Superflexibles on the E&A with Flexocor D&G. They are somewhat less bright and sustaining than Spirocore but definitely more so than the Flexocor low strings. A better balance IMO. I also much prefer the Superflexibles to Spirocore for arco.