1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Split between headphones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TinyAdmiral, Oct 10, 2019.

1. TinyAdmiral

TinyAdmiral

Oct 10, 2019
    New Jersey
    Hello all, long time lurker and first time poster.
    I use the AT-M50X's at home to not bother anyone, but sometimes they rattle and I think I would like something better suited for the bass amp. I've seen many people recommend the AKG 240's and how long they've been around for. I like how they're semi open back to help my hearing. I've also seen reviews of the Phil Jones H850 headphones for bass. Which should I get?

Thank you

2. Seniormasculino

Seniormasculino

May 17, 2018
    I am also interested in this!

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Subscribed.

I currently use Beyerdynamics DT-770's and am very pleased, but always interested in the "what's better". :)

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I use a similar Audio-Technica set, either the M20X or M30X, and they sound great. I've never had any problems with rattling or buzzing. My guess is there's a piece inside that's ever so slightly loose. And if that is indeed the case, I could see it getting bounced around either by…
    1. …pushing the lowest frequencies it's capable of producing.
    2. …shrinkage or expansion due to the ambient temperature around it.
    3. …a bit of both.
    Is there a pattern to the buzzing? Does it start immediately? Does it resolve itself after a while? Does easing up on the bass frequencies make a difference?

Me too. I'm a bit of a serial headphone-purchaser. For years, I've been looking for great headphones that don't cost a small fortune. (Sorry, Dr. Dre, but I'll never drop three digits on a set of earbuds! :rollno:) So far, Audio-Technica has been the best brand I've bought. Not that they'd help in this situation, but the wireless ATH-S200BTBK phones are quite nice…great sound and the battery lasts a long, long time. :headphone:

5. Seniormasculino

Seniormasculino

May 17, 2018
  6. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Be careful. Those low frequencies that you can barely hear (causing you to turn up the volume) are doing things to your ears that, in polite society, would usually require them to buy you dinner first.

Having said that I use AKG/Massdrop K7xx or Q701s as all-purpose studio cans. They are open back, so you will hear a lot of treble from your fingers that is not actually present in the signal. If I were to get more serious about bass-specific headphones, I'd go closed. That gets harder and more expensive due to low end accuracy, as cheaper closed phones generally have hyped bass.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Rezdog likes this.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I use Focal Listen Wireless. Great phones, not transparent transparent enough for studio use but meant to handle heavy low sounds from games as well as hifi.
    They are perfectly suited for bass and not having a wire to bother you when playing is appreciable.

8. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I used m40fs for years, sound great. The foam rubber eventually started flaking off, so I replaced them with 50x, which sound good, but I actually prefer the 40fs a little. Never had a rattle issue with either.