1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Splitting signal to mix clean and effects

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bassman316, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Hey guys

I've tried thumbing through some of the stickies in the forum about recording and gear FAQs but didn't find much on what I'm looking for. I've been doing some home recording as of late; my best friend is a guitar player and we're trying to put some songs together. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: I want to split my signal coming from my bass so I can have one track clean and one track with effects and blend the two to my liking. Here's a short list of the gear I'm using:

-Hartke LH1000 head/ HyDrive 4x10 cabs
    -Boss GT-10B
    -ProTools Express via M-Audio M-Track Plus

I figure for a clean signal I could use the direct out on the front of the LH1000 into the first channel's mic input on the M-Track. For the effects signal use the guitar in on the second channel. Where I'm getting stumped is how to get a signal to the amp to use the direct out AND a signal into my boss board. Am I overthinking this? Any ideas or suggestions- or a point to a thread that could help- would be greatly appreciated!

2. You can try to use the send output from your processor to line/hi-z of your card. Sometimes it works.

In general you should think about a good DI. Bass -> DI, then balanced to the sound card and unbalanced to the processor -> Hartke chain.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Consider recording a clean track, then re-amping to add in effects.
    Or just using effects in the DAW.

Doing a try and effects track you'll have to watch phase as you mix them.
    Every extra pedal or change of setting you make on an external effect, you'll have to compensate for the phase change yourself.
    If you do it in you DAW in the digital domain, the DAW will take care of it.

Dima B likes this.
  4. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Right on, thanks for the responses. I'll admit I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of home recording, but I'm loving the learning process. I just looked up the basics of re-amping and it looks pretty straightforward. I'll have to give that a shot. Looks like it could save me from potential phasing issues doing it the other way.