1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spokeshave?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cessna928, May 9, 2010.

1. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Look out for chatter. One instance can ruin your neck. A few days of practice with this tool will not prevent you from damaging your project.

2. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    I may save the spokeshave for my first full build, and just go with sanding for this neck. But how should I go about changing the section of wood before the heel? Rasp maybe? That's where I thought the spokeshave would really be useful, roughing out a smooth transition.

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Keep 'em surgically sharp and you'll have better luck. One of the challenges of spokeshaves is sharpening them because their blades are short front-to-back.

4. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    As lame as it is, I actually read a book on sharpening knives/tools. "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" one of the things he covered was woodworking tool sharpening; and is consequently something I wouldn't try without a jig, bench grinder, and A LOT of time on my hands. I definitely want to get good at using said tool though. One thing about it, I can sharpen the heck out of a kitchen knife now, lol. But I may have to bench the spokeshave idea for a bit, try the alternatives and then use it to build a hand drawn neck at a later date.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Nothing lame about reading!

My two favorite sharpening books are by Robin Lee (Lee Valley Tools), and Thomas Lie-Nielsen (Lie-Nielsen Tools).

Life is too short for dull tools!