Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squeeze - Cool For Cats

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Maybe the UKers can help me on this one. ;)

First of all, this song is bonkers, I dig British style of humor so this song is alright by me. :D

What's going on in the bass, it sounds like some kind of rake with a pick. But I'm not sure, does the bassist have some strange effect on or is it keyboard. I don't know Squeeze that well, you'll have to excuse me.

2. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

May 6, 2013
    Seattle
    I am also interested in the extreme growl on this song. Anyone know the instrument/amp combo used to get this bass sound.

(I know this is a zombie thread, but it is almost Halloween so it is appropriate)

3. Lex Slade

Lex Slade

Jul 16, 2013
    What a coincidence, I've gotten into Squeeze lately and I've been trying to learn a lot of their songs (The chords and chord changes they use are so weird and unusual like they don't go together, but somehow they make it work).

I always assumed it was a synthesizer, or if it was a natural bass something really processed - I'm thinking some kind of chorus mixed with compression, then palm muted with a pick. It's a really cool part - It's treated like a lead instrument in the verses, so much so that if you're just playing chords to it on guitar it won't even sound like it because those bass accents really give the song its soul.

4. Lex Slade

Lex Slade

Jul 16, 2013
    To add on to my previous post, the bassist on the Cool For Cats album was Harry Kakoulli who did some interesting bass things. On "Take Me I'm Yours" he has some distortion that makes it sound synthesized. And the song "Slap and Tickle" is a double entendre - It's a slang term for sex, but it's also the term they coined to describe Harry's unique bass playing on that track.

5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    London-NewYork-Paris-Munich-Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Harri use a few basses back then, his original bass was Rickenbacker 4001, but for Squeeze he mainly used his Kramer 450. He came from a punk sensibility, so he liked a bit of 'grit' on his sound. He may have used a pedal like a Big Muff or maybe even a tube Screamer to boost the signal. Strangely enough, for the time, he used his fingers rather than a pick...so the tone he gets is excellent.

I would guess the Kramer came as an endorsement, so he may have recorded with his Rickenbacker...but played the Kramer live, which is a great option to have in any ones book. Amp wise, i believe Ampeg SVTs were his head of choice through 8x10s,(10s were his speaker of choice i believe), but he did use Trace Elliot though endorsement deals, but again i could not say what he actually recorded with, if any at all, the same situation applies with his technique, maybe pick to record with, but fingers live.
    As a producer he may have just went straight into the board and EQ'd the sound using studio parameters. So much is objective as what he used live may not be anything close to what he recorded with, but the musicality of his playing rather than any tone is what grabs me. Like Bruce Foxton, Graham Mabey, Bruce Thomas, JJ Burnel etc he had a great way with a bass part to make it flow throughout a song.