1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SQUIER AFFINITY GETS A NEW LIFE AND TOTAL FACELIFT !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So I've had this Affinity sitting around here...no reason why, other than it was $65 and I figured it might make a fun "makeover" project some day. Well, I finally got to it a few weeks back.

First was stripping the body. What a PITA, especially the undercoat. Sure, I could have just filled the dings and patched up the body, roughed up the finish, sprayed primer, and finished over the old red paint job....bat that isn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to take it to bare wood, do any filling necessary, and refinish it "right". After a few hits of Kleen Strip and some elbow grease, the color coat was off...which left the "tough as nails" undercoat. I haven't yet found a stripper that effectively removes this, so it was time to grab the heat gun. More elbow grease, a few molten shards of undercoat, and a bit of time later I had a body. A really ROUGH body. The undercoat filled a LOT of imperfections. So...grain fill, sand, patch, grain fill, sand, patch, prime, sand, fill, patch, etc later.... I had my body ready for paint. This is the PITA part of properly refinning a guitar, and the primary reason why refinishing a guitar costs so much. All the painting, leveling, wet sanding, and polishing later PALES in comparison to the amount of "prep work" that is required to do a great finish.

Anyway, body, neck, etc were ready to go. I definitely wanted to change out the pickups and electronics, so a trip to Bass Emporium got me some pots and a set of Duncan Quarter Pounders. I used a Sprague Orange Drop cap and a switchcraft jack from my private stash.

I left the "Made in Indonesia" decal on the back of the headstock as a symbol of where it had come from, and also to prevent anyone from trying to sell it as a real vintage Fender to an unwary customer. I topped it off with a set of Blue Steel Nickel Plated strings, a set of covers, and voila..."late 60's style" custom color Precision Bass !

Not bad for a bass that started out as a $65 bass !

No pics, no "Affinity Makeover", so....

BMP1.

BMP18.

BMP3.

BMP5.

BMP6.

BMP7.

BMP8.

BMP15.

BMP14.

BMP13.

BMP9.

BMP12.

BMP16.

BMP2.

BMP17.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Very nice!

3. Looks sweet. How did you "age" the maple on the headstock and back of the neck? I'd like to do that to my Squier Standard Jazz.

4. BassMax23

BassMax23

Oct 16, 2009
    Very very nice! How does it sound?

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hellz yeah! Love the finish checking on the body! That looks like the real deal. I love all your work, man. Never stop.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That has to be one of the most natural looking relics I've ever seen. Great job!

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Pretty damn nice.

8. +1

How did you get the finish to check so convincingly? If I didn't know better, I would say that finish is at least 20 years old.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm gonna guess DH won't reveal his true secrets to us TBers on the public forum...that's what makes these relics so magical...:ninja:

I'm guessing he has a time machine...

10. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Good of you to leave the s/n on there, otherwise I could see myself paying $$$ for that thing if I didn't know better!

11. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    sweet ....as always

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. The main reason I even "bothered" with this Affinity is :

A) It was cheap
    B) it has a lightweight alder body
    C) it was cheap

As for sound, it sounds really good. I'm not a fan of the 1/4 pounders typically, but if you back them away from the strings you can get a nice "meaty" sound from them. This bass really needs some flatwounds, but I'm out of them right now.

As for finish checking - well, the old fashioned way still looks best IMO. Cured nitro finish... cold....hot....cold....hot...etc....till you get what you're looking for. The clear coat has to be one that doesn't contain chemicals to resist yellowing and checking... many modern nitro clears do. Other than that, patience. :)

I'll try to do a quick video of the bass soon.

13. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Awesome! Where do you find the time? :cool:

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a bit of insomnia, so I do things like grain filling and sanding in the middle of the night typically. Other than that, I just try to do stuff when I can.

:)

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Gorgeous as always. The 1-ply pickguard is a nice touch.

16. Oh man is that nice... :eek: Soo cool. Reminds me of a CS Fender I saw on Musician's Friend a while ago.. Awesome work! To be honest, the first thing I was looking for when I saw this bass was a set of D'Addario Chromes, which seem to end up on almost all of your projects. I'm a BIG fan myself!

17. I'll bet just a little bit of experience rounds out the formula.

Anyway, it's really impressive, even more so if it's a player.

18. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    That's indeed sharp-looking, and good to see you're keeping the Fender decal industry in business. :p

19. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Superb DH... as usual. I reckon a 3 ply guard though but me old skip. love the cracking (checking?).

Oh... and vintage tuners... but that'll double the price.

20. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Best looking Squier.