1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Affinity Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowinman, Dec 6, 2011.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Second time lucky on eBay!

Today this arrived. Here's me with my Squier Affinity Jazz V, and my Squier/Fender Frankenjazz; both ordered and delivered through eBay.

FenderSquier2.

In neither case did I change the headstock. For some reason, I have only bought fake Fenders. The four string is a Squier with a Maple Fender Custom Shop neck, tort pickguard and EMG Select pickups added. I have played it for about a year, and the only mod I made was the DR Black Beauty strings.

I absolutely LOVE this bass, and consider it my #1.

The five string is a Squier Affinity, that has had some custom pots added, as well as the black pickguard, and Fender decal.

None of these mods were done by me.

I have played five string bass for exactly one hour, and I don't see what the big deal is. Just remember the low B isn't your E! How hard is that?

I was struggling to think of songs we do in Eb, and songs we don't do in Eb, and songs we do in E that could use some added low octaves on some notes. I don't play on any of our Drop D songs; my wife does.

Anyway, there were a number of threads I could've put this photo in, but I couldn't decide which, so I started my own.

The Affinity has flats, which I have never played before. At first, I thought I'd be in a big hurry to take them off, but I think I will just play them for awhile, and see how it goes.

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    So how often do I go to the well of playing some extra low notes? I plan to do tomorrow's rehearsal on the new bass, without telling anyone, and see if they notice when I go below E.

Life.

TheDominoKid likes this.
  3. Very cool rides! Lucky... ;)

I rarely ever go lower than 'D' on my five, but I do use the notes on the 'B' above the 5th fret often; makes for a lot less hand movement. I dig those Squier 5s; awesome basses. Rock! :)

4. Congrats with the Affinity V! Ordered one from the USA in July, never regretted it!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Every Affinity J-bass I have ever played has been incredibly nice considering just how little they cost. My only peeve is that the bridge pickup tone does not have quite the clarity I would like when soloed. This is a problem with the Squier Jazz Deluxe Active bass too. For some reason, the Squier VM Jazz Bass V, is perfect and sounds as good a nice Fender when the bridge pickup is soloed.

6. Interesting. For me, it's the neck pickup in my Affinity V that I don't quite like the tone of when soloed, but the bridge one is heaven.

7. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I just picked one up as a backup and the neck is pretty nice. I'm looking forward to putting in some nice pups one of these days.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    played one (squier affinity 5) a few months ago. Picked it up and had LOW expectations.
    It completely blew me away in terms of playbility, solidness and tone. I was VERY surprised at the quality for such little $$.

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I really like mine… Oly white, and I put a tort pickguard on it.

And Mellowinman, I typically dig your posts… cool to see what you look like.

:)

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Thanks! My internet time just got massively cut down, so you won't be seeing many for awhile, but I do like to drop in here.

I played the Affinity during rehearsal the other night. Arthur, our guitar player, said he thought it had kind of a phased sound when I played it with both pickups all the way up. He said he liked it.

What I'm not loving is the flats on it. I really might have to get a set of fairly stiff rounds because that B string doesn't have the presence I want. Our drummer, Jamie, said he likes the new bass a lot better than the other one, but he's going to be disappointed. The five string is my "second" bass for now, until I get more time driving it. I'm really only using it for Eb songs, so I don't have to cheat, and don't have to downtune.

I'm not going to do anything yet. I'm just going to play these two basses, and let them tell ME what to do.

11. I used to own one. I should have never sold it. I think that's all I need to say :bawl:

12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have one and love it too, just wait until you slap some LaBella Tapewounds on it - OMG just stand back, some of the best tones I've ever gotten out of any jazz at any price.

13. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Congrats on the Affinity Jazz V!

I've had up to 4 of these at one point over the years. Too many, so I let a couple go, but I still have 2 of them & agree wholeheartedly with the GBassNorth's comment above. Playability is superb on them too. Mine have very low action without buzz. They setup very, very well!
    The 2 hotrodded Affinities I still have:

103_2380-2.
    103_2271.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    WOW!!! Those are seriously hot!:eek::bassist::eek:

15. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thank You Doc! They are my two favorite Affinities of the several I've had. Keepers - both of 'em. ;)

16. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    An absolute steal at $229. If anyone is thinking about getting a 5 string just to have one to learn on then this is it.

Kubicki440 likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I survive Christmas shopping, I may get a Squier VM Jazz V or maybe a Fender Blacktop Jazz. We'll see because it seems every time I turn around something is getting my money!:bag:

18. Back to this beautiful Affinity Jazz V we've discussed before. Do you use .130 B string gauge on yours?

The stock B string (thinner than .130, dunno exactly the number) feels only adequate on mine, but not great. On one .125 set I tried, the B was sloppy. Cannot try different strings often, they're outrageously expensive where I live...

19. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi Temcat,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I use a .130 B string - it works very well on the Affinity 5's. Tighter than the stock string (.125 I think) and a little beefier on the low end as well.

20. DaDrummaOnBass

DaDrummaOnBass

Dec 3, 2011
    Clearwater
    TBMG Co-Founder
    Sweeeet!!!!! Where did you cop the black pickguard from?? Is it a 4string pickguard that you modded??