1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe 70's Precision with Flamed Neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Brouillette, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Yahboy, Crowd crusher, kobass and 4 others like this.
  2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    nice score! I've always thot highly figured woods like this tend to be harder than plain grains and can produce more highs than usual, maybe making for greater articulation.

David Brouillette likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Squier.

4. Dabndug

Dabndug

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Nice.... I've heard that some flame and birdseye figured maple makes it into the Squier supply chain very now and then, but I've never actually seen an example.

5. I have a 60s CVP and love it. I have played a few of the 70s CVs at GC and each time they are very well finished and light(lighter than my 60s CV).

Enjoy!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a CV Matt Freeman neck with lots of flame on the back. Pretty cool! Yours is wayyy more highly figured though on the front than mine. I think the fingerboard on mine is relatively plain.

7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Beautiful! I could even live with those black block inlays with that flame.

8. Saw a used MIM Standard p at Sam Ash with a comparable flame maple neck for $400 a couple years ago. Played and sounded good too. Tried to talk my bud into buying it. I probably should have picked it up myself just for the neck.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The aforementioned matt freeman neck with flame on the back and a little birdseye on the fingerboard.
    img_4036-.

Attached Files:

10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    It's always cool to get the luck of the draw!

11. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Don't have a pic on me, but my MF has some wicked flame-ing. Will take a shot tonight.

12. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    But yeah your fingerboard is something else!

13. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Sweet neck and bass my man. The one I owned also had the same flame, my buddy just got one last month and it too has it. It's a great bass!

14. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Very nice! How is the sound, feel, and playability?

I own MIA precision and jazz basses, Music Man, Ibanez, and a few others that most people would consider trash.

First of all, before the snobs start slamming me, I always play basses before purchasing. I have found a few gems of various manufacturers simply because of my personal decision to give them a try without comparing apples to oranges. I have found that Squire has a great many models that equate or even exceed MIA Fenders. For example, I own a Jimbo Johnson signature Jazz. I did not consider purchasing because of the signature. I don't even know who Jimbo Johnson is!!! I simply saw it at my local music store, played it for a bit, and it is now it is mine.

I must say that your purchase looks great. Enjoy!

15. I have a few test that I do when I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a cheap bass. This one was balanced, resonant, snappy, felt good, and played great. I got it home and it set up fast and sounds killer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  16. Robert Drewry

Robert Drewry

Nov 21, 2017
    I bought one just like this and love it. I've wondered how many they made with flame maple necks. I have two USA jazz basses and this one is what I play mostly now. It doesn't play as well as my jazz basses but I simply love the look and feel of it so well that I can't put it down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017