Squier Classic Vibe Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 23, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  2. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yikes - was in middle of post and suddenly said thread closed. Here it is:

I did this to my 60s CV PBass using Zenrad's excellent instructions and photos. You can use the center hole as a guide but note there is some slop in all of the hole including that one. Since they vintage bridge is slightly narrower than the HM you need to position and the new holes so it covers all or most of the old ones. After swapping out the pots and output jack I'd put this as #2 on list of best bang for the buck in improving these basses. If I had done this first I probably wouldn't have swapped the pickups. Playing this bass last night at a rehearsal with the alt rock band I'm in and reminded myself again what a fabulous bass it is.

3. Just subscribing to the new thread... Lovin my CV P-Bass!

4. My LPB CV50's P is likely to leave my stable soon. It paid for itself in gigs, and is the oddball of my collection, which probably numbers two basses too many, at this time. The CV is a great instrument; it's just not for me & what I am doing now. It served well in a Green Day tribute, and the hoped-for Police tribute does not seem to be materializing, so it's time to say farewell. I do love my VM Jaguar, which I put a drop-in replacement hi-mass bridge on. Only $300 total into it, including the bridge and straplocks, and I have a main player for bar gigs that I would not risk bringing a G&L JB2 to play. I almost like the sound of the Jag better.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry man. :oops:

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ah, i wondered why there had been no notification emails.

Ive just (finally) got my PG sorted out. for those tht missed the issue i had, i had put in a pup that was slightly bigger than standard size so i couldn't get a new PG to fit without filing it down and after making a bit of a mess with the stock PG i couldn't be bothered to do it with the new one.
    Ive now got a Fender 62 Original pup in and its a perfect fit for the black PG i've had for a while, so here it is fitted.
    I now like the Fiesta red a lot more with the black PG on. I've never been keen on Fiesta red (i love Cherry red) and along with the tort PG i just couldn't get on with the looks of this bass but now i love it.

5579699119_a74d0be667_z.jpg

7. That's gorgeous, Dave. I almost picked up a Fiesta Red P last night. And I'm not a fan of red in any form on a bass...but I like these. The black really changes the look for the better, IMO.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks. It does indeed look better now.
    I would say the red looks a bit darker in this shot so that helps

9. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player

That does it. Black pg for me now. Thanks dave bass 5. And I have a Fender Original P Bass pickup ready to put in it.

I just got a Road Worn Precision in red as a companion to my CV red, now I need a black Pg for that one too, I don't really like the stock gold too much. Anyone know if it will take a standard pg?

10. Lambic

Lambic Squeaky Pedals McGee

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)
    The one I saw in a shop lately looked a lot paler than the one in your pic. I prefer your version, but maybe it's the lighting that does the trick... I love tort on sunburst (classy, even), but not on this red bass either. It's a matter of taste, of course, but this black PG (with a white layer in it, not just plain one layer black) fits a lot better. White (with a black layer in it, etc...) isn't bad either, on red...:bassist:

Oh, and originally those saddles are brass, on the red one, aren't they?

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The photo is not 100% accurate but having the black PG does seem to make the red look a bit darker.
    In fact i find the finish on this bass to look quite different depending on the light source. This shot was taken in pitch black other than having a bounced flash fire, and the whitebalancee is pretty neutral.
    I do like Tort, andefinitelyly love it on a White or 3TSB bass but i felt ti just made the red too pale looking.wasn'tsnt convinced the black would make much difference but i agree about having that white line around it. It sets the black off nicely.

The bridge is a Gotoh 201. I put this on as the Squier HM bridge has a 20mm string spacing and i felt this to be a bit uncomfortable.

Oh, and its got a CV Jazz neck on it as well. Other than that, its all stock :)

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
  13. If the neck is glossy I want one!

I wouldnt sell your CV you put alot of work into it.

Where are people getting gaurds for the 50s cv P? I want something without holes for the fingerest and triple ply , I cant stand this big slab of white plastic.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yes, I might have been a bit hasty last night. If the new P has vintage frets then there is no need for me to keep my fiesta red. I don't need more than one P bass but if it hasn't then I might have a re think. I'm still trying to get in to playing a P neck and still have a jazz neck on my CVP.
    I would still put a gotoh bridge on the Freeman and probably put the Fender pup in so I would end up with the same bass but in my ideal colours.

15. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    You might have to go custom.

16. I figured sounds spendy haha, i have aout 195$ into my cv right now , planning on a Pickup and knob swap soon.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I'm heading out to buy a CV P bass and the tort guard isn't my fav, but the black looks great.

18. ive been thinking about a CV P or J bass. are the necks on these good? New Pups is clearly a must on these but Id be interested in that anyway.

but what other mods are pretty common with these basses?

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I don't think new pups are a must. The CVP sounds every bit like the American P hanging next to it at the store.

20. The necks are great. I changed out the pickups on mine to DiMarzios but they don't really sound any different. Maybe slightly higher output is all.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.