1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier J Bass Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric1668, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    Hi. I'm new here and have a probably dumb question. Will pickups for a Fender J work in a Squier?

2. Squier J bass' pups, both bridge and neck, are the same size. MIM Fender basses are the same way. MIA J bass' bridge pup is slightly longer than the neck pup. So, it depends.

3. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Yes.

Remember most J pickups are a few mm longer at the bridge than the neck, so get them the right way around.

I've heard a few jazz basses in certain factories were manufactured with equal size pickups.

Measure them to be sure.

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    AFAIK, only in a few cases is this true.

5. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks for the info. The Squier I have is a cheapo made in Indonesia. Good enough to learn on though. The bridge p/u just quit. Is it worth putting a set of good ones in this bass or should I go cheap?

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If the pickup's dead, no reason why you can't change it, just make sure the pickup is the proper width (as stated above). Fenders and Squiers from a certain era (and made in Mexico) used to have equal-sized pickups in the neck and bridge, while those outside that era and/or not made in Mexico had normal, proportional-sized pickups.

If you don't want to spend a lot, you can give GFS pickups a shot. They are cheap, yet a lot of people like their sound. Before you buy a new one, tell us, does the bridge PU give out any sound at all when you turn it up and mute the neck PU? Does it crackle and buzz?

7. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    Not really any sound. It may get a buzz if you push a string down and touch the pickup. I had it checked at a guitar shop and they said it was dead.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... actually, the Squier Affinity and Standard models used the same size pups ... the VM and CV use the conventional bridge longer arrangement ...

... pre-2000 MIM STANDARD basses used the same length pups, post 2000 used bridge longer configuration... you almost need to measure if bass is from around 2000, as some snuck by as the body may have been sitting a bit ... ALSO, we need to watch whenever we say 'MIM Fender basses', using it as a general term, as there are SEVERAL MIM Fender bass models, and MOST of those have NEVER used the same size pups ...

... Made in USA Fender J's have all used the neck longer configuration

9. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    I had a Indo Squier and was going to Mod it with Dimarazio pups dp126 set and the jazz pup was different than the route hole on mine.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Squier pickups are quite good - you can save a lot of $$ by just finding a used replacement one. Just be sure it is the right length.

11. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I believe the size for standard jazz pickup covers is 92mm (neck) or 95mm (bridge) long and 19 mm wide*. If your squire is that, then any standard jazz pickup set will do

*that's 3 5/8 or 3 3/4 by 3/4 of an inch

12. Eric1668

Eric1668

Jul 24, 2012
    Sounds like a plan! The bass does have a good sound, at least to my untrained ear!

13. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    On that note, the Squire Pbass special I sold a while back have decent pups but nothing great, but the one I picked up recently is unreal. Not sure if they are stock or what but they sound amazing and even like them better than my Aerodyne Precision (not jazz...rare) non-import that I really love.
    I notice the pups have like a silk wrap on the lead wires (blue, white and black wires on P pup) instead of bare regular covering. This may be something to look for if they are indeed Squier pups but again not sure.