Squier Jazz Bass Silver Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bandkindbass, Apr 18, 2004.

1. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I picked up a new bass today! :D

This squier is made in japan, and the rumors say that they have a deasent quality even the squier name isn't the first choice of instruments. I'm very pleased with both sound and playbility.

I was searching around for some info about the silver series before i bought this one, but didn't find much. If someone needs my advices, i would say that this is an instrument that is quite better than i thought the squiers would be. If you find one of these and it priced as an ordinary squier (korea or other) then buy it!

Some pictures:
  2. I have pretty much the same thing, colour and series and all, but mine's a P-Bass. I find they are darn good basses, very good quality.
  3. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
  4. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    Nice one! I also liked the sunburst Rick in the background of that picture. found you other pictures of that one too.

I really like the looks of black instruments with black pickguard. I also have a stratocaster (1977) with those colors.
  5. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    My bass looks exactly the same. Mine is just made in mexico and has a Badass II bridge and a 60s pickups.
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The neck doesn't seem to look right on it, nice bass though.
  7. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Nice looking bass :)
  8. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    what do you mean is wrong with the neck? it was rather dirty when it was pictured, but it is already cleaned properly. Or do you mean that there is something wrong with the neck?

I would like to have a maple one with black rectangular inlays and binding. but i guess i use it as it is. I'm thinking of doing a series mod on it to get a more precicion-like sound. but i don't know when i get time to do it.
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Congratulations! Looks just like my brand new MIJ Jazz - black with black pickguard. :)

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm looking into getting a nice Jazz, but I can't afford a fender so I might go with a squier.

thats nice.
  11. Ragist

Mar 4, 2009
    Hey! So sorry for digging up this old thread, but I need urgent help!
    A guy offered me a black 1991 Fender Jazz bass, but on the top of the headstock is a Silver series logo. Logo is Fender though, and Im wondering if this is a genuine mij Fender, or an mij Squier that has the logo replaced? I can't find any examples of any Fender Silver series around.
    Thanks so much in advance for the advices :)
  12. kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    That is an MIJ Squier with was replaced with Fender logo. There were no MIJ Fender Silver series, the right logo was Squier by Fender then you see that small Silver series logo on top of the headstock. The Squier logo is color silver.

here is my P-Bass as example

13. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I have seen what you are talking about, a big fender logo and¨"silver series" where the "offset body countour" decal would be. The decal might be legit. I remember these basses had sort of reissue-ish appointments, like the copper groundiing strip..

Very little info on those. If cheap, and sounds good, snatch it!
  14. Ragist

Mar 4, 2009
    Yup the silver series looks exactly like the one on the squier, where the contour body logo should be, I have a pic of it
    The guy told me its some logo Fender used when they sold the bass to non- US countries, so probably you're right! The serial number matches the Fender Japan coding.
    How's it for 400 bucks USD?
  15. kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Dude could you please take a close-up photo of the headstock including the serial number below the "Fender"logo. Fender Japan never released a Silver series Fender. Could be a replacement decal in there. :confused:
  16. Ragist

Mar 4, 2009
    Opps so sorry,
    Here you go
    You know quite a lot about japanese basses yea?
    Could you tell me what one of these is worth now? Even if its a Squier
    Thanks a lot!
  17. kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008

Its quite hard to see the decal but I'm 100% it is indeed a Squier MIJ with a replacement Fender decal.
    That Jazz could still sell here in Japan for about $100-200 at on-line auction or higher in stores.
  18. FastFollow

Jun 13, 2009
    I have a Squier Japan Silver Series '1993

It sounds pretty good. But, a basswood is a not lovely kind of wood for a lot of bassplayers. And i have a strange
    cavity under pickguard. As i think, that this cavity is for lightnin weight :meh:
  19. jhay

May 6, 2008

sir could you please tell me more about this bass. I am about to get the exact same one
  20. fingerlicker

Dec 16, 2011
    Hey peaps,

Great to find others appreciating these great basses!!! :)

I got a white 92 MIJ Jazz Squier (my first ever bass) the thing is awesome. I'm planning on giving it some tlc including some vintage tone pickups. Great to see others appreciating a fine instrument.

I have a 5 string warwick streamer $$ which is a new purchase and I plan on using for a lot of stuff BUT: I have a mexican jazz standard also. I was planning on setting a higher action on the MIJ with flats and the vintage pickups and some DRs and some brighter, more aggressive pickups on the mexican. But I'm thinking that the warwick can be dialled to singles on both pups and achieve a pretty good jazz bass tone?? Meaning I might as well set-up my MIJ as described and make a few bucks on the mexican and sell it, seeing as it's like £500+ new. But if I do sell one a part of me thinks the mex is better because it's worth more :hide:

I definitely want a jazz with flats however so if I do sell one that I'd be relient on the warwick for the brighter round-wound sound.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.