Squier MusicMaster Vista Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Aug 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    One just recently sold on reverb for $30 and someone has one for sale on eBay for $85. That's a bit steep for me. At that price I'd rather try the SCPB-3.

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would gladly trade the SCPB-3 in my Vista for one of your Vista pickups :)

indieandrew11 likes this.

3. I saw a few pink ones. Did you see the one that was like missing its knobs and stuff? that was from a local pawnshop. I sent a message to him that I would give him $200 cash for it and pick it up and they agreed then when I was about to leave they said oh nevermind the bidding is over $200 now. It ended up going for like $216 I think on eBay, then they had to ship it lol I would of just bought it but nooooo.

I got a black one off craigslist instead :D Guy had it listed with a ibanez, amp and a ton of other stuff for a package deal of $350. I said I dont want the other stuff just the MM and he said $150, he was 70 miles away and met me halfway so it worked well.

00V0V_du60mNWmQRR_600x450.jpg

mattbass6945, indieandrew11 and Duder like this.
  4. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    There was one on Ebay yesterday for $85.

MakoMan likes this.
  5. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Nice! My wife picked up my black one at a local pawn shop for about $160 with a hard case. Mind you, the case doesn't fit, but what are you gonna do? (Hint: use it for another instrument :D)

6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks! That's almost half a million Canadian pesos including shipping so I think I'll pass for now :)

Duder likes this.
  7. Good deal! I got my pink one off ebay with a hardcase that was for a full scale bass.

My MM jack was really sloppy and making noise, not even electronic cleaner fixed it. The crazy thing is yesterday I bought a bass used and in the case was a new in the package CTS jack. I had to open up the jack hole on the guard a bit but the CTS fit perfect, just incase anyone is wondering. The original jack looked really cheap compared to the CTS but hey it worked 19 years.

Duder likes this.
  8. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I like to shop so I'll keep an eye out for you.

MakoMan likes this.
  9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks buddy! :hyper:

Duder likes this.
  10. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    There's a blue one on eBay right now. They want $550 plus $120 in shipping for what appears to be a "well-loved" instrument. Almost makes me sad I got the black one.

11. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's a crazy price. Mind you, the blue is one heck of a nice color!

12. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    Where is it? I took a look and I can't find it on eBay. I'm not looking to buy it (for once); I'm just curious about why I can't find it. Strange. That would be the most I've ever seen one sell for.

13. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    It must have sold because I don't see it anymore, either. Shipping was from Japan so that accounts for the high shipping cost.

14. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    Found it. It wasn't registering in my saved searches because they didn't use the word "musicmaster" in the title. It's still for sale. That is a crazy price. I'm watching it now to see if it sells.

Duder likes this.
  15. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    Here's an update to this post. I noticed today while doing some cleanup on the basses I'm prepping for sale that the pickup pole pieces were drastically different in terms of placement. So, I decided to measure them all and compare. As referenced previously, the SCPB-3 is 53.5mm from center to center. Here are the measurements of the 7 I have on hand: 47, 48, 48, 52.5, 52.5, 53, and 53. The 48mm spacing gives perfect alignment with the strings, whereas the 53mm spacing is a bit wider, though not unreasonable. They must have switched suppliers during the manufacturing run. I can't imagine one company's quality control could be that consistently off, unless they made a change and stuck with it.

I've tested them thoroughly and I'm pretty sure it doesn't really make a difference in terms of sound. They all pretty much sound like they should. Now I have myself curious; tomorrow I'll have to check them with a multimeter and see if there's a consistent difference between the wider and narrower versions.

16. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    Here's an interesting find. I tested the pickups with a multimeter and the pickups with narrower string spacing are generally lower resistance. They ranged from 7.6-7.9K and the wider ones ranged from 8.0-8.5K. They all have different strings so it's difficult to say anything about perceived volume or tone. FYI: I tested these by simply measuring through a plugged in cable. There's potentially a bit of error introduced this way as a couple of them have had the stock pots replaced, but I wasn't about to tear them all apart for this. Close enough.

17. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    Is it against board policy to post here that I have a bass for sale elsewhere? I don't currently, but I thought it would be a nice courtesy to the club members to link future listings so they could have a crack at it. Of course, if I really wanted to help out, I'd pony up the dough, become a supporting member and list it on TB.

18. Mekana

Mekana

Nov 4, 2009
    I love this club! Someday I hope to become a member.

I just looked at a '78 Fender MM... But decided to hold out for the right Squier Vista.

19. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    There's three on eBay right now. Two blues and a white. I still have to list my white one and black one somewhere. I really need to get my supporting membership.

20. burl0029

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    Well, I sold the extra white one on Craigslist today. I still have the black one, but I need to clean that one up beforehand.

Prices are going up! One of the blue ones on eBay sold for $500 + $30 for shipping. That's the highest price I've seen yet. Maybe people are flush with tax return money.