1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier P Bass Special 5 Pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sandu, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    I'm refinishing my Squier P 5 in natural, and while the original white pickguard will look ok, i'm going for a Marcus Miller-ish look, so I want a black pickguard. Will standard replacement P pickguards (Fender or other aftermarket brands available here) fit, or do I need to start looking for some pickguard blanks? Worst case scenario, I'll be painting the original pg black, and then clear coat it for some protection.

2. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    Anyone?:(

3. Don't recko0n a standard P guard 'll fit. & maybe not even a P5 string guard. The Squier's neck is very wide & so you'll probly need to measure it & look for one that'll fit or shop for a custom one.

4. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    I don't mind doing a bit of sanding and cutting. I'll be installing a soapbar in it anyway. I just want the screw holes to line up and the shape to be as similar as possible, to cover all the routing. Hell, I can make new screw holes, it just needs to cover up what it should and not look awkward.

5. your squier P5 has 2 J pickups?

a standard P pickguard will have a cutout for a P pickup (wider overall than soapbars- even if you put an MM in you'll still have gaps) -
    you're better off making a new one or getting one custom made.

6. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've actually seen a Squier P Bass with a J bass config. they look just like this one

[​IMG]

If this the bass you have however you are probably either going to have to look for a model specific guard (sure someone makes them) paint the one you have or make your own.

7. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    Yup, that's the one. A P pickup assembly is wider than a soapbar? Well, the hole will be black, the pup will be black, the pickguard will be black, and I'll be putting a pickup cover, so it's not that big an issue. If it covers up all the other holes, it's fine by me.

8. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    AFAIK, there is no replacement pickguard for the Squier Standard Precision V Special available anywhere. You would need to make a trace of the existing PG and get a custom PG cut. You could try to contact Squier/Fender directly, but I don't know how successful that'd be ..... :)

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think there are pickguard places that take tracings. like this one: http://www.pickguards.com/