Squier Paranormal Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassmanM, Jan 20, 2020.

1. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
  2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Uhhh... OK. I get it, kinda: mashing a 54P pickguard onto a jazz bass is spooksville. It doesn't appeal to my aesthetics, tho. I find it quite jarring. Others may love it.

Does it have a J neck or a P neck? A "regular" or a "squished" headstock? I can't tell if the knobs are stacked, or if it really does only have 2 knobs.

shojii, FenderOli, friedlbug and 4 others like this.
  3. Same here. Call me a traditionalist but it just doesn't fly for me. :rollno:

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Could be better name it “Squier Nondescript ” series .

Wow! 54's Jazz Bass .....does FMIC has a “ Time Stone ” in their hand ??

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Ghastly, pcake and wmhill like this.
  5. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    Not in the market, but I like it....

aus_bass, Sandman64, dabbler and 4 others like this.
  6. I guess it would look better in candy magenta with a pearl guard. :laugh:

pcake, PennyroyalWe and Microbass like this.
  7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    My first reaction was “no.” But after taking another look I have to say I like the finish and the control plate with the concentric knobs. But I don’t think they went far enough with the 50s elements. Many of the guitars in the series have more non traditional pickup/body combos. So rather than just a Jazz wearing a 51’s clothes, maybe put a pair of 51 single coils in it to complete the Jazz/51 P combo.

Edit: After looking at the article and seeing they’re calling it a 54 Jazz, the choices they made make more sense to me.

shojii, Bill Whitehurst and BillMason like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Scary.

9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    cowpoke ghost?

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    curious what the headstocks will look like, but so far I luv the look if not the idea just cos I'm not a big J guy and can think of other paranormals I'd prefer, yet I'm a sucker for a maple board. over $500 ...pass.

tindrum likes this.
  11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    agreed. yuck.
    Looks like a broken mashup..clearly wasn't designed to look like this? The control plate overlaps the PG? or is PG cut out to fit? Either way.. yikes.

I do kinda have to chuckle though, I think about all the people that complain about "only" getting the same ol P or J basses in different colors.. well..here. I'll take the traditional P or J thanks, not some "special" step cousin of both.

YMMV

PS.I gotta wonder.. Who "signed off" on this, thinking it was a good Idea?

T$

instrumentalist likes this.
  12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    ...I kinda like it. ;)

13. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Ship 06-01-2020. Right. Just like the CV Mustang bass. Still waiting to see those since SNAMM. . . :rolleyes:

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can only mix the same ingredients so many ways.

15. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I like that they're doing new and different things, it's kind of like Fender's Parallel Universe series. I really wish they'd just bring back the Cabronita bass. Gimme that in black with a maple neck and the build quality of the Classic Vibes or MIM Players and I'd be buying one for sure, Squier or Fender.

16. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    All early 50s P bass control plates overlap the pickguard, so Leo Fender signed off on that design lol. Also if there is no routing under the pickguard like an early 50s P bass you can remove the pickguard and have a J bass with no pickguard which many ppl like. If it has the smaller early 50s headstock that would be cool too....oh and stacked V/V/T/T?!! I'm interested

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  17. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I like it. Not enough to buy one, but it's kind of neat. 54-Jazz-Bass.png The Jazz-o-lantern is spookier.

18. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I haven't tried them yet, but it looks like the difference from the standart j-bass is a pickguard.

DeafbyBass and FugaziBomb like this.
  19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    In the future all Fenders are Taco Bell. ;) :D

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I kinda like it.

Fender will sell a bunch of them to people that like the aesthetic, then drop it and move on to the next permutation.