1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Vista MusicMaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle K, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Saw one for sale and thinking about picking it up. I read some reviews and people really seem to like them.

What's so great about them?

How do they differ from the VM Mustang?

No, I haven't played it yet, just want some opinions first.

2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    IMO the Vista has a nicer feeling neck. Rosewood fingerboard and vintage frets. But I do like the split pickup in the Mustang

3. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Thanks Duuuuuuuude, have you been able to compare it A VM Jaguar SS?

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Never compared the two but the MM is very well built with a nice pup and a dream to play. Grab it since they were only made one year and are hard to find and getting pricey.

5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Nope, I've never played a Jag SS.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Agreed. Snatch one up while you can. If you don't like it you'll have no problem selling it

7. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Do these have any neck dive?

The one I'm looking at is black, and looks like it was used for about a week. Seller is firm at $250 for it. Fair price?

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I'd say it's an ok price. Not great but ok. I saw one go for last week on ebay for $275+$45 shipping.

9. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That is a good price. I have seen them go for $300-350 even. The problem is finding one so grab it. I paid $225.00 for mine and it was mint with the original case and hang tags. It is a great bass and the pup is loud and very powerfull. As for neck dive I get none.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    $250 is a good deal on a black one. The surf green and shell pink models can command a fair bit more.
    I have both a Vista Musicmaster and a Jag SS. The Jag is a very nice bass but IMHO the Vista MM blows it away. Haven't had a chance to compare it to a Mustang yet.
    There is a little bit of neck dive with the Vista and it is a bit heavier than most Short Scales. None of that matters to me because the bass plays, sound and looks so fantastic.
    As well the Vista has a slightly wider nut that the Jag and the neck is noticably thicker. It all feels great. Mine is the Surf Green model and I would grab a black one to go with it in a heartbeat if I came across one.

11. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    For $250 I don't see how you can lose.

12. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have the surf green also and they look awesome. You are right thou the higher prices I saw were for those two colors and the shell pink seams like it the hardest to find. What amazes me is the output of that pup it really screams.

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    I honestly have no idea why anyone would replace the pickup in the MusicMaster Vista. You are correct... it just screams!

14. The Squier SS Jag is the best bass value available for $170.

Or is it $179? Oops. Never mind.

15. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger last night. Gimme a few days with it and I'll tell ya what I think, and post some pics. Stay tuned..............

16. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Congrats! You're going to love it. :bassist:

17. Don't think you'll be disappointed. As I mention in every thread about these, I still miss the pink one I sold years ago. Congrats! I look forward to the pics!

18. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Ok guys, here she is.......sorry its a crappy fone pic. I have quite figured out this photobucket thing yet.

Attached Files:

19. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    First impression is good. I really like the neck, with my Jag I kinda felt like I could break off the headstock if I squeezed hard enough. Not with the MM, the neck feels solid at the nut and has a thicker finish on the back. The frets are good too, feel slightly flatter and smaller, which I found I really like. All in all I'd say it has a higher quality feel to it.

This bass is also in perfect shape. No scratches, dings, or construction imperfections that I can find. A real "closet classic." The pickup is a bit uneven, and I can push it down with my finger, but still works. I'll have a looksee when i change the pickguard, since I'm definatly getting a black one. Also I love the painted headstock. I prefer the feel of a rosewood fretboard, but I think maple looks better, especially on a black guitar. What really bothers me with the RW on black are the two different colors of wood (fretboard and headstock) but not an issue with the painted headstock. +1 there.

Now the sound: I'm playing it with the rounds that came on it, but plan on switching to flats. The pickup gives off a kind of hollow sound, but in a good way. I definatly get a kind of surf vibe from it. Kind of a unique sound that I could grow to love.

I think this will become my main bass. Definatly worth the cash. The only flaw I can find is just a tiny biy of neck dive, but I think this bass deserves a leather strap, which will hopefully take care of that.

PS- Her name is Snoppy. The white pickguard makes me think of Snoopy when you see it on a stand.

20. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!