1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM fretless mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrimTim, Nov 5, 2018.

1. GrimTim

GrimTim

Jan 16, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Hi all.
    I have a 2013 Squier Vintage Modified fretless bass with the Duncan designed pickups and DR flats on it. I really like it and get compliments on its tone regularly.
    Im thinking of giving it a paintjob, and when i do, it will be a good time to do upgrades. Im strongly considering upgrading the bridge and possibly the nut for better sustain.
    What are your experiences with this and recommendations?

2. Did a bunch of mods to my VM Jag once.
    Problem was... did several mods at once, didn’t like the results.
    Didn’t know which mod contributed, or contributed the most.
    Lesson leaned... Do one mod, play a bit to be sure you like the results before making the next mod.
    That way if something goes wonky, you only need to take one step back.

BTW... I put on a Schaller roller bridge in place of the stock bent metal one.
    Couldn’t tell any difference in sustain at all.

Now something I think would be interesting to try, if you’re changing the nut.
    A Zero fret style nut.

3. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Neither mod will affect sustain. I only change the bridge if the current one won't let me properly intonate the B/E strings

4. GrimTim

GrimTim

Jan 16, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Interesting. I have always heard adding a high mass bridge would improve sustain.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

marketing.

Old Garage-Bander and Gorn like this.
  6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I always try to install a hi-mass bridge simply because I pretty much can’t stand cheap-onbent-plate “vintage” bridges. Blame it on Leo’s G&L bridge...

I recently installed a Hipshot KickAss bridge on one of my Squiers. It is really a fantastically redesigned BadAss.

I got it is Black because I feel that the Chrome one would be too much...
    3DE4BFEE-B9DD-48D3-ADAB-012A97D9D5EB.
    C852E7DA-9944-48AA-8A43-75823F579B08.

GrimTim likes this.