1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Fretless or Ibanez Soundgear 300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boombiscuits, Jan 7, 2012.

1. boombiscuits

boombiscuits

Jan 7, 2012
    TB noobie here. I am looking to get an affordable, yet decent fretless to explore the world without frets. I am looking at a new Squier Vintage Modified and a used Ibanez SR300. I would welcome feedback from anyone who has played both of these models (or similar) and can offer pros/cons between the two. Thanks! :bassist:

2. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Squier

3. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Squier !

4. ficalini

ficalini

Aug 5, 2011
    NW Houston
    VM fretless! I picked one up last week, and it's awesome.

*If you get it though, make sure to put flats on it*

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Squier.
    In my book, they are hands-down far better than Ibanez's offerings in the same price range.
    Once you get into mid-upper prices and above, then it's more of a fair fight.
    But look at just how many emotional threads around here pitch the current Squiers against the MIAs!
    Squier.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a bass that can provide you a smooth deep sound, the Ibanez sr300 would be an excellent choice for that. I'm planning on buying an Ibanez sr305 real soon. I really dig how it sounds. so I'm gonna buy one real soon.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    How did it compare to the Squier you tried in the same price range?

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I haven't tried the squire vm fretless, but I have played Ibanez basses before. personally I like how they sound. both basses are affordable and they have their own sound. perhaps these youtube clips would help you out.

Squier VM fretless
    Fretless Squier VM - YouTube

Ibanez sr300
    Ibanez SR Bass - YouTube

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I have not tried both of those though I have tried the VM Fretless and a fretted SR300. I don't think either one wins hands down over the other for quality or sound. Try them both and buy the one that appeals the most to you. They are both very good basses. I'm really looking at 5 strings so I played the VM Fretless a few times for grins and I played the SR300 because it was the closest the shop had to an SR305. As a result I did not make careful mental note of the difference I am about to point out so it may not be true of the four string basses, someone else may be able to confirm or you can check it out yourself. When it comes to the five string models Fender/Squier uses a wider string spacing than Ibanez. Some people like one or the other, my conundrum is that my left hand likes the narrow Ibanez spacing better, my right the wider Fender spacing. Like I say the four string models may both use the Fender standard spacing so it is just something to look for, not gospel.

Ken

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Ah, I've played them both, and owned both brands, thanks.
    I was wondering what the difference was where you thought the Ibby to be a better choice, that's all.
    Cheers.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I was suggesting to Boombiscuits that Ibanez sr300 would be a great bass to buy if he into basses that provides a smooth deep sound. I'm not making any comparisons in any way. both basses sound pretty cool, it's just that I like Ibanez more. I would recommend these basses anyday along with schecter and peavey. also when it comes to buying basses, it's all about personal taste in sound quality. boombiscuits was debating on these basses and wanted suggestions from anyone here. it would help him make his choice on what bass to go with.

zontar likes this.
  12. Spoonface

Spoonface

Jan 5, 2012
    i personally prefer the ibanez....
    i was dissapointed when i tried the VM at the shop, just feel its lacking in something....

zontar likes this.
  13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It depends on the sound you're going for, but don't automatically put flats on. I just finished recording my Squier VM fretless and it sounded pretty dead with the flats (listen below). I swapped those out for roundwounds and it now sounds more like what I was going for. Since the fingerboard is ebanol and not wood, I'm not as concerned about marking it up.

Can't comment on the Ibanez since I haven't played one, but the Duncan designed pickups on the Squier are just decent. I'm considering swapping them out.

14. lowgroove677

lowgroove677

Jan 8, 2011
    I got the ibanez SR300fl. Im a little partial to ibanez basses. I switch out the pickups and preamp. ( not a fan of that particular preamp ) I put in bartolini mk4s and a coil tap, much better for me. It certainly does have it's own sound, but I think you'll be in great shape with either one

15. gratefuldad

gratefuldad

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi I know this is an old thread. I was wondering which fretless you bought if any and if you can give any feedback. I am in a similar situation where I tried out a VM (accidentally!) and liked it a lot but I haven't been able to try out the Ibanez. (I have fretted Squire and an Ibanez SR600). I was ready to buy the VM but now have an opportunity to get an Ibanez which needs some easy to fix electronics work for a good price. Thanks in advance.

16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    This will invalidate the warranty, but one of the first things I did with the VM was lightly sand the fingerboard to make it less shiny. It feels nicer to me that way.

17. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    The Ibanez--the necks are much better.
    You can switch out the pickups if you don't like them.

I've seen too many neck issues with the VMs--but not everybody encounters them, but the Ibanez.

Although I have the SR500F, but a used SR 300 ought to be a great price.

18. I did the same thing to mine.