1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier vm jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lukehwd, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    Hello! Hope you all had a good Easter!
    I'm looking for some suggestions. I have a squier vm jazz bass. It sounds pretty good as is, but I am trying to get a bit of a different sound out of it. I really like flea's tone (something about that really funky bite). Any suggestions on how I could get closer to that kind of tone? (Pre-amp, pickups, strings, etc)
    Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I had a major change in sound by switching the strings on a Standard Squier Jazz (CV's and VM's predecessor). I had light flats on it along with a new Quarter Pounder neck pickup. It sounded pretty weak. I was about to take the new pickup out and sell the bass, but just to test a nagging doubt I had, I switched to Ernie Ball Cobalts which I really dig for it's brighter, more aggressive sound.

The difference was nothing short of magical!

Although I eventually ended up trading said bass, I didn't do it because the sound was too weak. It taught me how much impact strings can have on sound, regardless of the bass or amplifier. Don't get me wrong, they too have a considerable impact, but to paraphrase Jonas Hellborg, "Sound starts at the string".

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I had one of those - a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups and a series/parallel switch really brought it to life...

- georgestrings

4. Yes, try new strings. A nice fresh set of roundwounds will do nicely. I like Dean Markley Blue Steels.

5. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    At the moment I have Ernie ball regular slinky strings and it's just lacking that little bit of punch to it. Would cobalts give it a really aggressive, punchy tone? What other strings could I use to get that effect?

6. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    What kind of installation would that require? (I'm not too handy with replacing these things myself :p)

7. Malak the Mad

HmmmÂ…the strings you have should be fairly punchy already. Mind you, I tend to go for the slightly thinner strings myself (45-100's). To me, that does have a little more impact.

To be more specific, the strings that "saved" my Jazz were the Regular Slinky Cobalts (50-105's). They were much livelier than the light flats it previously had (D'Addario Chromes 40-95's). Currently, I have Ernie Ball strings on two of my P/J configured basses, the Cobalt 45-100's on one and a normal set of 45-100's on another. Both have a similar sound and feel, but to my ear, the Cobalts sound a bit better.

If you want to try out the Cobalts, I'd recommend the lighter 45-100's. If you don't want to drop that much money (they go for about $30) try the standard 45-100's ($17 or so). Hopefully one or the other will bring you a little, or even a lot, closer to the sound you want.

8. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    you could also try DR high beams,they are really bright strings,almost obnoxiously bright when new. Flea has his own set of GHS boomers,but my experience with GHS has been less than stellar. I killed a set of electric guitar strings playing less than three hours a week for three weeks,and the strings looked like they'd been on the guitar for 6 months.

9. Malak the Mad

I've also had good experience with DR's. I put a pair of Black Beauties (coated DR Sun Beams) on an Affinity Jazz and it sounded very nice. I'm also sporting a set on my Aerodyne right now, but like before, I think the slightly slimmer ones had a little more "pop".

10. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks for the input! I think I will try putting on your string suggestion and see how it turns out.

11. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    +1 for DRs I have owned most of them. The coated ones are great be beware if you get a dark colored string they might be hard to see on the fretboard at night.

12. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    Which DR's would be the best for the sound I want to get?