1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM TB "Tele" Bass mod- How to "fix" your Mudbucker!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by McSpunckle, Jun 22, 2009.

1. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    I just got a Squier Vintage Modified P bass-- the Tele model. I planned on just changing the pickups-- I just wanted a Tele bass, and I loved the neck on it.

I've read a lot of complaints about the pickup is too hot, it has no high end, etc etc. It truely lives up to the name "Mudbucker."

Anyways, I took the pickguard off and discovered the pickup has 4 conductor wiring. Very rare for basses in this price range. The pickup actually looks very high quality overal-- just very hot, and very dark. It's actually very cool sound if you use distortion.

I decided to try wiring the pickup in parallel. It was very, very easy to do. The bass actually sounds much, much closer to a regular P bass now-- and a good one, at that. The lows are still solid, but the mids and highs are much better now. I was going to put 2 Darkstars in it, but now... I don't think I need to. Plus, everyone's doing that. Still might do one in the bridge.

I suppose you think you'd like instructions? It's very easy.

If you take the pickguard off, you'll see the wire from the pickup. The green wire will be attached to one of the lugs of the volume pot-- the black will be attached to the back of the pot.

You'll see a red and white wire tied together. Just separate them. Solder the red wire to the back of the pot with the black wire. Solder the white wire to the lug where the green wire is.

That's it. And it sounds GREAT. I actually like the stock sound, though. I'll probably install a switch to go between them-- eventually.

I apologise, I don't have a decent way to get sound clips.

merseymale and keyboardguy like this.
  2. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    That appears to be a great way to go at it. Someday I will have one and do this thing with the series/parallel switch included. Nice post. Thanks

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  4. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    Grrr. I missed yer thread. I did quite a bit of searching for these pickups too. :rollno:

Cool stuff, yo! Diagrams and everything.

5. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I just did this mod and it ROCKS!

I was about to swap out the pup with a Dark Star. I thought, I'll just try it out and see how it sounds. Wow! I am going to leave it like it is and find something else for the Dark Star!

Thanks!

6. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    McSpunkle, if you ever get around to the switch between the two, let me know. I'd like to wire it up but would need some help, thanks!

7. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    MrSpunkle, have you had a chance to make a switch between the two sounds? I have some extra time and would love to do this!

Your help is appreciated here, thank you!

Dave.

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Darkstrike posted a how-to including a diagram in his link above. Its here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7081206

RedVee likes this.
  9. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I guess I was looking for a way to do this with just the two ways, stock which is series and the modded way which is parallel...

I could just do it like Darkstrike and not use the single coil mode... but that seems a little more difficult and requires more opportunity to mess up.

Thanks!

10. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Couldn't I just get an on/off switch and wire the red and white to that?

Any chance someone out there can help? I can do the soldering, I just don't know specifically what switch, from Radio Shack or something? to get.

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    If you get a two way on/on switch, and wire it as I have shown, it will do series/parallel, without the single coil mode. :)

12. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
  13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
  14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Yep, you'll need a DPDT. Consider putting it in a push/pull pot switch. That way there's no new holes in the pickguard...

15. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    KnifeSwitch.

perfect.. ;)

merseymale likes this.
  16. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    No new holes in the pickguard ?..?..?

Where's the fun in that ???

17. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Thanks, fellas! I'll try to get to the Shack in the next couple of days and let you know how it turns out. I'll probably make a new hole for it, and I'll probably need some help troubleshooting!:D

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    About the new hole, I'll warn you, to get the switch where I wanted it, I did have to rout some more control cavity.

19. davelowell2

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Ok, so I did it! I put the switch between the knobs, simple. I didn't have to rout. I could only play for a second through my bench guitar amp, but it seems like it works! Thanks!

20. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Awesome dude!