1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier vs Ibanez (budget bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by recode, Oct 7, 2013.

1. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Hi everyone there! Im playing alternative rock/metal in my band and i want to pick a second bass, i cant decide between Ibanez SR370 (maple body, active 3 band EQ), Squier Delux Jazz bass(basswood body, active 3 band EQ) and Squier VM Jazz Bass (maple body, passive electronics). What should i pick? I like them all. :C My band's lightest song can be compared with Paramore or something and the heaviest ones with the band Red, Breaking Benjamin, something like that. Please help!

2. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I can't say enough good things about my Squier VM P-bass...

look up my posts in other threads on the subject.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have never played an Ibanez SR bass that felt good to me. The necks are just to thin. You cant go wrong with either Squier you are considering. I cant really give you an honest comparison between the quality of Ibanez vs Squier because I haven't spent enough time with Ibanez basses.

4. They're both good, but have different features (neck width/size. pickups, etc.) that you may or may not like. You really need to try them both to make a fair comparison. All I can tell you, for what it's worth, that the Squiers I own (VM P and VM J) I am very happy with.

5. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I'd pick the Squier Deluxe over the Ibanez, over the VM Jazz. Deluxe because of the active electronics. If you're sticking to a single bass Active electronics tends to be more versatile than passive electronics.

Squier QC tends to be a bit better than Ibanez these days, especially on Ibanez instruments at that price point.

Full disclosure though, I've never found a sub-$399 Ibanez that was remotely worthwhile but I have played decent Squiers, so YMMV.

6. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    It all comes down to the tone and neck. Squires have a more "vintage" tone while the Ibanezes sound very dark by comparison, without a whole lot of mids. The necks are two completely different worlds and will have a bigger influence on your decision. Personally, I can't stand any Fender/Squier/Music Mans because the necks are so thick, and I'd pick the Ibanez on that alone. But that's what I get for starting with an Ibanez and I'm sure a lot of others feel the exact opposite. Just depends on what you're used to playing now.

I'm not a fan of the lower-end Ibanez tones, though. The SR500 is a HUGE improvement over any of the cheaper models. If I were you, I'd get a used SR500. You can easily find them under $300.

7. travhop42

travhop42

Dec 21, 2010
    Texas
    I have owned Ibanez SR600 and SRA300. Also had a Squier Telecaster VM Bass and Squier VM Fretless Jazz.

Ibanez are built better, Squier sounds better.

That is my 2 cents

8. Depends on what model of Ibanez you want to compare Squier to. If you are talking about the cheapest Ibanez vs the Affinity Squier. Well, they both suck. The lower-mid range of price - then I would take the Squier. But once you get to the mid-range then it is fairly even and it will depend on the feel of the bass to you. In the upper-crust - then Ibanez wins hands down. Squier simply doesn't make basses in that class/range.

9. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    I've played all 3 tiers of Squier basses, and one thing I can say is that they're made very well, even the Affinity. Whether the quality of the pickups, tuners, etc are up to your standards is for you to decide.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    New CAP soapbars and three band active equalizer perfectly match maple SR370 body

They're great
    Remember that MIK Ibanez models from mid '90s were MIJ replicas down to sound and solution
    Present SR370 (and SR375) are heirs of those SR400/SR405/SR406

Squier active deluxe Jazz share a very similar sound with upper SR500 SR600 and SR700 Ibanez series
    They're made out of mahogany, ash and mahogany with flamed maple, while Squier active deluxe it's basswood, but electronics work the very same with three band active eq and midscoop switch.
    And you know what?! Not that much output maybe, but Squier cut a bit better thru the mix

The one cuttin' more than anything else and bein' authentic fun to play is the VM Jazz
    All passive? Right, but with an undeniable funk tone to it if need be. Hit or miss with neck reliability but overall bang for your bucks.

So: which one among the three?

I agree with the one tellin' ya Squier active deluxe Jazz
    Smart and classy like VM '70s Jazz bass (what's more classy and sexy than a Jazz bass btw?) and modern and versatile like Ibanez SR series.

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    I had an SR375 fretless (almost exactly the same) and wasn't impressed by the sound at all. I thought it was pretty dull. That being said, the newer models with the 3-band EQ are much better than the ones with the 2-band EQ and precision/jazz knob from a couple years ago. The pickups sound the same, at least compared to my old SR300.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

With respect, the Deluxe Jazz necks may not as thick as you'd expect. They have a 12" radius, instead of the usual 9.5". Combine that with the satin finish, you've got a pretty fast-action neck there.

I tried my hand at five strings via a Deluxe Jazz Active V. I didn't take to the extra string well, but I liked the look and feel of the satin neck+ebonol fretboard enough to harvest the neck off an Active IV for a parts-bass I'm assembling.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    "Remember that MIK Ibanez models from mid '90s were MIJ replicas down to sound and solutions
    Present SR370 (and SR375) are heirs of SR400/SR405/SR406
    "

we're all talkin' relative (subjective) point of views here, but I tried to walk in OP shoes describin' the offering he could find in SR entry level 370/375 (yet much better than agathis 300/305) which are not that far from a "recent" (forgive my age;)) best sellers

I know that nu metal is not en vogue anymore but these basses were intensively sought after back in those days

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    I get what you're saying. Just giving my impressions and as much information on the sound as I could--no disrespect intended. :)

If that tone is your cup of tea, the SR300 has some of the best value in the market. Mine was built perfectly and played better than the more expensive basses I use now.

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    THIS^

I own an SR506 and paid under $300 for it. It's a killer Ibanez in all standard ways which means fat tone, thin neck, nice playability. I also own a Squier P/J 5er. Yes it has new pickups but that's all. Neck plays like a dream with no adjustments. It's an old school classic.

Personally I'm not one to have a hissy fit over neck dimensions. I LOVE the feel of the narrow Ibby neck but I also LOVE the feel of my "chunky" G&L or SX necks. I especially love the WIDE neck on that that Squier P/J bass. the neck I hate the most is the standard one on my Fender Deluxe V.

So for me the bottom line was tone: Classic Old school or classic "modern". I see need for both from time to time hence the TB answer: eventually you buy them both.

16. 5hithead

5hithead

Oct 8, 2013
    I love my Squier VM Jazz. Comfy neck, and I can vet the action nice and low unlike my cheap ass Ibanez Gio.

17. Are you leaning more towards the metal or rock side of things? for metal, I'd say the Ibanez. Anything else, the Squiers.

18. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    + 1

Both are good basses but the Ibanez would be great for metal.

19. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I'd go for the VM Jazz, they work great for metal, even better if you stick active pickups like EMG's in them, I've never been a fan of the lower end Ibanez SR basses, I don't like the feel or tone & personally I wouldn't get anything lower than a SR500.

20. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Why? A good Jazz bass copy sounds great in every genre, especially metal. They are very aggressive and mixable tones.

I'd go J bass all day because you can use it with any genre band you join.