1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squierbird = Bad idea? Need advice from luthiers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lucrezian, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Lucrezian

Lucrezian

Apr 5, 2009
    Hello, i'm a novice bassist who has recently been fascinated by John Entwistle's Fenderbird bass, which I'm sure many of you have heard of. I've been thinking a lot about the fender-gibson (or in my case, squier-epiphone) hybrids, and how much each company has to contribute to make perhaps, better basses. Or at least basses none of the civilized world has yet to witness.

I've been throwing around a lot of ideas, many of which revolve around an epiphone body, most notable a Thunderbird IV and Squier necks. I love the look of Tbird bodies, but was never a fan of the headstock, which I believe aren't nearly as pretty as Squier headstocks and i enjoy the feel of a squier neck. Since the necks on an epi tbird and a squier p or j bass are all bolt on 34", it'd be easy to swap, so long as the shapes are correct, which i dont think they are but could fiddle with some power tools and reshape them.

I've also been thinking about tone and the electronics of squier and epi basses. While I love the tbird growl, I also like versatility, which many people complain the tbird lacks (in say, genres like jazz). I've been wondering if it would be feasible to attach a j bass pickup to a tbird. Truthfully I'm not sure if this is the stupidest thing any bassist has ever typed, and would like some expert advice. I'm aware that adding a third pickup may make the bass quite crowded looking, and the wiring would be a mess, not to mention to gouging out for the jpup. I'm not even sure if it would sound good. And honestly, I'm not planning to do this myself as I'm currently a little low on cash and don't want to risk a perfectly good tbird. Therefore the question is, is this jazz squierbird a remotely workable idea? Any advice would he helpful if i ever plan to do this in the future.

Lastly, if you think this is an idiotic idea (I have though about it that way myself), but have other suggestions on epi-squier hybrids, feel free to put em here. Some of my friends have thrown around many ideas, such as putting a squier TB neck w/ the smaller headstock on an EB-3 and other stuff like that. Anything useful, anything clever, anything truthful, and hybrid whatever. All's welcome.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Your idea is fine; it will take a bit of work to make the pocket and heel match and fit nicely, but it shouldn't be prohibitive. I'm not sure where you think you want to put the jazz pickup, as the t-bird pickups are already in the jazz sweetspots. You can surely find some kind of replacement pups for the t-birds that will satisfy. If you're contemplating doing this though, find a fender neck, you could get a nice squier, but you're more likely to get a nice fender...