1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SS backup head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fasterpussycat, Dec 8, 2018.

1. I have a 200W valve head feeding a 4Ω 212 600W/1200W cab*. Now my band has the prospect of gigs on the horizon, I'm thinking about a backup, preferably for less than $AU500 ($US360).

I'd be perfectly happy with a class A/B lead sled head if it was cheap and rugged. I have the hots for a Marshall 100W 2099 I played through for a couple of hours in the 80s -- they are cheap but unfortunately rare.

All suggestions on a beer mat please. We'll be drawing the meat raffle just before closing.

* Traynor YBA-200/Ampeg SVT212AV

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Not sure about pricing down under but I use and am very happy with my Fender Rumble 500V3 as a back up and my grab and go amp. Sounds great, real power, carrying case.

I also Like the GK RB series. The 700 and 400 can he had for not a lot of money over here. But really it depends on what your local market can provide.

BurnOut and BadExample like this.
  3. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    55C96702-207D-40E7-B59B-E0001B3927A0. You can pick up a TC electronic BQ500 head new for $450 aud.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Looks like the Trace Eliot Elf would be in your range as well.

5. Thanks. I have considered the Elf, but the reviews I have seen haven't enthused me. The TCE is half the price of the Rumble and only a few dollars more than the Elf.

I'll put the BQ500 on my list then.

Update: It's also red, which fits with the name of the band (these things are important you know).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    wizard65 likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fender Rumble for price. For a little more (and smaller) GK MB-500 (or 200).

7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Got used Genz Benz downunder?

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    GK Backline 600 head was a really nice amp, high quality electronics, but inexpensive. And a lot were made so you might be able to find one for cheap.

BadExample likes this.
  9. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    The cheapest second hand class D surely fits the bill. If you have to use it things have gone badly wrong and sound quality will be the least of your worries, so you want something as small and light as possible than can be wrapped in bubblewrap at the bottom of the gig bag and just brought out for the occasional test. After all you are hoping never to use it... Same applies to a speaker cabinet if you feel you need one of those.

Rest of the band ought to be prepared to adapt in an emergency if the backup gear doesn't quite match the original in volume say.

10. Thank you all.

I really am quite taken with the BQ500, which you can find for less than AUD400 AND comes with a warranty. I have no reason to think my valve amp is unreliable but at this end of the year, days here get up in the 40°C range or hotter and it never hurts to have a backup.

I do have a Darkglass Vintage Ultra as ampless/backup, but there's no guarantee the bass will be going through FoH, or available stage monitoring would be able to cope, in small rooms, therefore it's good to cover all eventualities.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018