Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stack help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spikeUndead, Apr 2, 2005.

1. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    hey guys
    i have £400 to spend on a stack, but i really have no idea which is the best for my price limit. i cant go over that price so any ideas would be really helpfull

Thanx :)

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what do you mean by a stack? a head and seperate cabinet?

after that it's all about what tone you're after, how loud you need/want to be, and what you like.

3. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    well i have seen the Behringer ULTRABASS BX3000T and Behringer BA410 (300watts head + 1000watts cab) and dont have a clue if they are any good and was just asking if anyone knew of a good stack (head and cab) for under £400. my band mainly plays rock/nu-metal and at the moment with my carlsbro 125watt amp i cant be heard :(

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    big flame war potential for behringer, but yes you will be louder with that setup. i would try a bunch of stuff and bring your amp down for comparison to see just how much louder an amp in question can get.

5. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    other then the Behringer ULTRABASS BX3000T and Behringer BA410 do you know of any really good cabs and heads that i could look at which are within my price range :)

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd get an extension cab for your 125 watter.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, that's like $6000 USD, you you should be able to get whatever you want, right? :meh:

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's always an idea if the amp can handle an impedance lower than what the internal speaker already has. that way you can upgrade slowly.

as far as other units, i'm guessing you're not in the USA, so i cant comment on pricing and availability in your area. :meh:

9. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    no Marley's Ghost's £400 is roughtly around $750

i very much doubt my carlsbro bass bomber will be able to take it :(. The sound out of it is very poor aswell, so i would rather buy a new head and cab

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I think if I had E400 I could retire. And by the way, where is the symbol for the British pound on my keyboard?? I must be going blind, I couldn't find it on here anywhere. :eyebrow:

11. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    well im in england and on our keyborads its on the 3 key

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hink you find it on symbols or some such nonsense along with r in a circle and tm

13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I guess 400 pounds isn't as much as I thought it was. But I could retire on that if I had all the money I've spent on bass gear over the last twenty years. I'm willing to bet there are one or two others on this forum who could say the same thing. :meh: :eyebrow: :crying:

14. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    well im still new to the bass buying world :( the reason i want to get a stack is because i have £400 and been told they are alot better then combos and because the amp i have sounds really bad. also when im at band practice i have to have it all full and then you still cant hear me :(

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Used Trace Elliot gear? Ashdown MAG line? Peavey?

16. spikeUndead

spikeUndead

Apr 2, 2005
    right thanx for that lol

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I agree.

Doubt you can do much better than British-made (at least British owned) gear in England. They will both blow the water out of the Behringer.

18. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    I would totally suggest an ashdown mag 300 you could get a 2 10" combo for $500 usd and then you could get an extension cab for it and have plenty of power and for the price the tone is excellent. but that is just a suggestion, cuz i am in the same boat as you, very limited funds. and even if i had more money i would still probly buy ashdown.(but thats just me......)

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm not sure you can get a full or half stack in England with the dough that you have. Like I said before, get an extension cab for now and get a new head and another cab later.

20. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    In real money, £400 is about $750-800.

But in bass money, with shipping fees, imports and everything else we pay to get USA stuff into our shops, £400 is $400.