1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stacked Pots / Capacitor Question - 62 Jazz Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johns46140, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Hello:

I recently rewired one of my Jazz basses because I wanted to try out the 62 Jazz bass wiring configuration. I used the following diagram to install two 250k/500k stacked (Vol/Tone) CTS contentric pots. Here's the Fender wiring diagram for reference.

62JazzBassWiringDiagram.

Here's my wiring

62JazzWiring.

As you can see I departed from the diagram by running the capacitor leg through the top lead prior to soldering it to the pot. I went that way because I found a photo on the net that was wired that way.

Everything is working but I am second guessing the decision to run the capacitor through the top lead due to the fact that it appears to me that the bass is not as loud as it was with standard vol / vol / tone wiring so I am wondering if it's because of the capacitor or might it just be the results of the different pots.

Any insight from one of the experts on the forum is much appreciated. I would like to understand if I should re-do the capacitor to match the diagram or is the wiring valid as is.

Thanks,

2. That's correct. It's essentially the same thing as running the pot to ground and soldering a wire from that vol pot's leg to ground as well.

I like to go around a circuit with it set to 'diode' checking that all ground points (including the bridge) are connected. If you don't have a multimeter do yourself a favour and buy one they're cheap and incredibly handy.

3. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    wow that is a good idea. im going to have to try that next time i make some mods to my electronics. i have my p/j wired i a 62 jazz config.