1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Staining my SVT 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watchitmike, May 4, 2010.

1. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    The tolex on this cabinet finally got out of control so I decided to do something nice for it and give my buddies a reason to handle it with a little more care on the road. Today I stripped it bare and started sanding the random black spray paint spots where the holes in the tolex were. This is what it looks like right now:

I'd like to do a dark reddish mahogany stain but I really know nothing about staining. I know the cabinet is birch plywood. Definitely could use some advice.

Thank you!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. buy stain.

2. follow directions on can.

staining isn't too hard. just get the old stuff completely off.

3. pretty much this. Just go find a color you like,apply,wipe,repeat, and let dry.

4. I suggest you try some on the bottom first, then if you dont like it you wont have to remove as much. Staining is tricky to get it right. It also wont offer any protection from rough handling either. Might also want to use sanding sealer prior to the stain, to avoid making it splotchy. A gel stain might work well also. Good luck!

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I can't tell, but that kinda looks like OSB...you should consider duratex for durability and good looks. Get a cover when you are done, or it will all be for nothing. It's hard to keep a box that big and heavy from banging into stuff.

6. maybe instead of stain, you order some duratex rubber coating for it, you can get it in any color and it offers a whole lot more protection for your investment.

7. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    That doesn't look like plywood to me at all, that's definately built out of particle board.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If it's particle board don't expect stain to look good. I think the whole idea is daft anyhow. It'd be much better and longer lasting to recover it with Duratex or at least a tough polyurethane paint that can be renewed periodically.

9. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    It looks like particle board to me too. You have some options, but staining will likely look bad since the stain will soak into the different wood parts at a different rate. It will be varying shades of red.

10. I'd recover it in white tolex but that's just me.
    You'll probably want a fairly dark stain to cover that and it probably won't come out like it looks on the can ;)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    come to think of it, it does look like osb, doesn't it? i was hoping it was just glue and stuff still stuck on, but i think these guys are right.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd go with the duratex, or re-tolexing it, but the duratex will last alot longer. that cab doesn't look like plywood to me either, but it may just be all the old glue that still on it.

13. Can anyone post pics of what a cab looks like with duratex rubber coating on it? Also pics of the spray and roller grade would be nice.

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Just about every black painted pro audio cab is painted in duratex. Not many bass cabs are from the factory, but that will probably change as manufactures start realizing the desire for a better cover material.
    You might have to decide if you like the painted cab and wrapped grill cloth grill. Depending on the condition of it, you might take some liberties in changing out the grill cloth, or even converting to a metal grill.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com has a bunch of pictures of cabs done in duratex.

15. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    White tolex all the way!

CIMG7721.

:smug:

CIMG7716.

gut shot... :bag:

16. When I was building and selling amps back in the Sixties I used white tolex. Tended not to look pristine for too long. Ended up with black but the chassis stayed white.

Paul

17. Just an FYI for those posting about particle board...

That's not particle board, but OSB (oriented strand board) also know as "chip board".

OSB is mad out of lot's of bigger chips of wood, pressed and essentially glued together. It's much better than "particle board".

But as someone above has pointed out... IT DOESN'T STAIN WELL.
    Because it's not a single grain of wood, staining doesn't bring out the grain. It just brings out the 'chips'. Don't stain this thinking you're going to get that pretty hard wood look. It will probably look like "chip" (mispronunciation of the would chip expected and intended ;-)

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Exactly. I actually did make a bunch of display cabinets for a store many years ago made from OSB and I used a dark mahogany gel stain on some of the panels for effect. It looked like stained chips of wood allright. It was okay for a small accent but would be too much for a complete cabinet that large. Then you still need to cover it with some sort of protective coating.

I've used a heavy duty oil based floor paint a couple times on utility cabinets. It looks okay for a while but gets marked easily and has to be touched up.

Duratex is the best bet for long life and good looks.