1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stainless steel frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkkent1, Apr 26, 2010.

1. darkkent1

darkkent1

Jun 17, 2008
    Anyone out there have any experience with stainless steel frets? Like em, dislike em? Does it change your tone etc? Thanks a million.......Dark Kent

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    When ever you have the option always opt for SS frets.

3. They have an amazing tone, dont wear down really at all. The frets on all new Chapman Sticks are stainless steel and they really ring out very nicely.

4. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I don't see how frets could alter the sound of a bass. Tone doesn't come from frets ...

but back on topic, SSF are very hard and won't need a fret dressing as soon as nickle frets if it ever really needs it.

5. You lost me right there. :eyebrow:

Ken J likes this.
  6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Tone comes from the body woods, strings, electronics, cable length, pickups, bridge, tuners, fretboard wood, neck wood, number of bolts used (if a bolt-on neck), effects, amp, cabinets, humidity, wind chill, air pressure, temperature, fingers, amp power cable, fairy dust, angle at which you hold your bass, fingers, picks, thumbs, bows, and nut material. Frets are moot.

This is common knowledge.

Anyway, here's my take on stainless steel frets:
    They're more expensive (around $5 extra per bass...), but last much longer. You won't notice a difference and you likely wont hear a difference either, except maybe a mild increase in sustain. They're also better because they aren't typically found on Fender basses.

catboyzee likes this.
  7. LOL!

8. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    +1 for stainless steel frets. Got them on my Warmoth J, and they give me a pretty decent approximation of Entwistle's tone from The Kids Are Alright's live stuff; nice and growly when used with Rotosound RS66s.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wrong, and wrong again. The fret is the witness point for the string on the neck, therefore is translating string vibrations into the the bass. Harder materials such as stainless steel don't soak up so much of the treble frequencies, and so instruments with stainless frets have a tendency to be brighter.

I've done a few re-frets with stainless wire, and it makes a big difference to my ears and hands. They sound brighter, somewhat clankier on certain instruments, and feel slippery smooth to the touch. Bending is generally smoother, and they last a lot longer than your typical nickel-silver fretwire.

10. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Sweet, someone had to turn this into another "Lets argue about tone!" thread. :rollno:

11. I'm disappointed in you guys.
    To state that frets are insignificant in the tonal equation is just... bewildering.

Pluck just ONE note on a bass with vintage-size frets and one with medium-jumbos and tell me you can't hear a difference.

That's like saying nickel strings don't sound any different from stainless steel strings.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This is TalkBass. Did you honestly expect anything different?

13. Quick! Someone turn this into a carrots discussion! :D

14. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I always hope ill run across a forum that can refrain from stupid arguments. lol

This forum is mild compared to other forums though, partially because of the large variation in ages.

At least it isnt like PBNation (anyone who is really into paintball will know what i mean). lol

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    It's what I've used so far on all of my builds (SS frets), takes a little longer on the fretwork, but worth it in the long run.

16. This isn't much of an argument, really.
    It's just one correct side trying to prevent the other incorrect one from spreading disinformation onto unsuspecting lurkers.

Yeah!

17. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    I had carrots on my last bass and even flatwounds wore those down pretty fast. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them, but YMMV.

18. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    How would SS be any different in tone to Warwicks bell brass frets?
    I wish I had SS on my Roscoe.

19. koreasilver

koreasilver

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm fairly certain the material the strings have direct contact with when vibrating has no influence upon how it sounds.

Obviously.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Stainless steel frets? By all means.