1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanberg Forty Eight questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snowbro, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Hello! Recently I have been fascinated with this particular bass. I am considering getting one, but I have some questions, mainly directed to bass owners or people who know their way around buying basses.

Why is this cheaper
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/sandberg_forty_eight_4_vm_tobacco_burst.htm
    Than the other models? Even in the site where you can make your own making exactly that turns out to be more expensive.

Anywhere I can look for a used model?

Is it true that it's kind of heavy in weight and not so comfortable to play near the head? I read it somewhere.

Anything special I should know about it?

As always, thank you for your time!

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    BK bassist likes this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Message dub56. He has one. Loves it

Dub56 likes this.
  4. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    That's only four questions.

Bryan R. Tyler and bdgotoh like this.
  5. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    @tpaul You're right. I had more question when I started writing but I just got them answered with research. For instance, the bass comes with shielding and it's very versatile in terms of tone range.

@bikeplate thanks for the suggestion, I have messaged him!

@bdgotoh I will message the man as well!

Ah heck I might as well write it here.
    Sandberg Forty-Eight Bass in Tobacco Sunburst £50 off - Classic & Cool Guitars

This bass sells for 900 pounds, shipping included. It is by far the cheapest I have found online, runner up is a 1,200 pounds found on thomann.de, new. I mean, my experience can't tell me if it's a good deal, but it really looks like one. Am I crazy?

6. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I did sell it back in February... and then traded back for it a few months later as I missed it and regretted having sold it.

But alas, I’m considering selling it once again, as much as I love Sandbergs AND considering I have a Sandberg California TM4 which is the same pup config, I’m already getting a very similar tone.

The very sleek body shape on the Forty Eight does not match my own less than sleek (dare I say “round”?) body shape :roflmao: and I feel uncomfortable rocking that look.

OP, I’ll reply to your PM shorty.

94CE2EC0-0FCE-40FF-AAEB-077C78826184.jpeg

DJ '65, bdgotoh, Dub56 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    PM replied!

I do have a Forty Eight and love it. I'll PM you some more info soon, and I'll also post a bit more info in this thread when I get a few mins.

20181120_154834.jpg 20181120_154334.jpg

DJ '65 and BK bassist like this.
  8. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Is that an Epiphone Thunderbird case? Did you have to modify it at all to get the Forty Eight to fit?

I recently slightly modified a different Epi Thunderbird case to fit mine (see pic below)
    20181205_210117.jpg

DJ '65 and BK bassist like this.
  9. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    It is an Epi TBird case and no modifications were necessary .... fits like a glove.

That white Forty Eight is a beauty! You don't see very many in white ... nice! :thumbsup:

Dub56 likes this.
  10. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Thanks!! I love that bass a lot, I was really excited to find it in white with the black stripes. That config is perfect for me and I didn't see it offered on the Sandberg configurator for some reason..

I found this one on Thomann online, then I drooled/agonized over it for a few weeks before finally deciding to pull the trigger. I'm really glad I took a chance on it, super cool bass.

Too funny about the case... I have the newer Epiphone T-Bird case (wider at the bottom than the top rather than rectangular) and it didn't quite fit at first. I had to cut out a bit of foam to get the pointy portion pictured below to fit. Looks like your case fit great! Oh well, I suppose it worked out fine in the end lol
    20181205_210203.jpg

BK bassist likes this.
  11. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    The "black blocked" maple fingerboard also adds to it bad'assery! :thumbsup:

Dub56 likes this.
  12. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Mmmm drool Screenshot_2019-01-21_14-42-55.png

Panther likes this.
  13. Snowbro

Snowbro

Aug 26, 2016
    Fiumicno
    Oh in the end I did buy a Sandberg 48, found an used one for 1k euros and I have to say it was a great deal. The bass is exactly what I was looking for. It's just perfect.

14. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I'm really digging mine. With the 5er I prefer active mode to boost the bass for the B. 20190403_102510.jpg

15. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    BTW, OP. What were your other 43 questions?

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021