Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stand - or Sit.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jeff schmidt, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Sit

28.4%
  2. Stand

75.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I've always played standing. But tonight - I was too tired. I sat down and played for twice as long as normal and like the quality of my work more.

I know Steve Lawson sits. Robert Fripp sits.

Maybe it's time to invest in a stool.

Pile'em up - sit or stand?

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I always sit down and play. I physically cannot stand for long periods of time and a bass weighing me down just makes it worse (and no, it has nothing to do with the strap).

But I'm worried about this. I'll be playing my first gig in a month and it's a rock setting. I don't know if I'll be able to stand, but I'm going to look kind of funny sitting. It's just not good for the band's energy, but what can I do. :meh:

3. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Maybe you could stand for some songs and then take a break and sit as needed. Is it something you could practice and improve your endurance? I.e the more you stand when practising the more you will be able to stand. Of course, if you have a physical problem that means you cant stand well thats a different matter and just enjoy yourself sitting down :) Most people will be too busy watching the singer to really notice that you are seated anyway I guess.

Steve

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You could buy a stool and mount a piece of cardboard in front of it and paint fake "legs" on the cardboard. That way, even when you are sitting, it will look like you are standing to the audience (in a dark room).

Okay...maybe not....:D

5. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Maybe you could get a very high chair/stool or whatever, the kind that upright bassists use sometimes. It wouldn't look stupid.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Depending on the venue, you could stand for as long as you can and then perhaps "sit" on the edge of the stage in front of the monitors (or on the monitors) and rock out down there for a while, this wouldn't look so out of place and may come across as part of the show (ie if you have a slow number in the middle of the set). Alternatively, you could use a wireless and pull up a stool at the bar during the set and keep playing..that would look pretty cool!

If you only have to sit down for a song everyone once in a while, its probably not going to be a problem as people will just see it as part of the show (ie if you sit on your amp of something). I was at a show the other night where one of the singers had to sit on a chair the whole show because she had a sore ankle...didnt really detract from the show!

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No doubt. When you play music that can be danced in any way you MUST stand up (unless your instrument is played sitting -drummer, bandoneon in tango, etc.-). The live look of the band is very inportant and it has to be in accordance with the music you play. Maybe it's prejudice but I thing sitting guitar or bass players give this erudite "music for musicians" look to a band (even though they don't precisely play it). On the other hand, sitting musicians has become a must for unplugged shows, but I tend to think this is a MTV imposed aesthetic, because, as an example, KISS' Unplugged is one of the most danceable rock albums I have, it moves you to dance, so why play sitting?

ANDRUCA

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My arms dont sit at the right angle when Im sitting and tend to bump into my body when I rech for certain things.

Standing is more tiring, but I play better that way.

9. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    If you get tired, you can always put your left leg on something, and your bass on it, to lessen the pressure on your shoulders. I often do it, not only when I get tired, but also when I solo.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I sit all night.

11. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Why don't you get a stool and kind of halfway sit and halfway stand on it? It would look like you were standing for the most part. That way you could keep mixing it up as needed for comfort.

12. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Exactly what I meant/said :)

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

But, are you even looking at the band when you're dancing? :cool:

When I came into the geezerly jazz band I'm currently with, they offered me a stool. I declined. I've been a front man for years, and sitting down is very uncomfortable, especially when playing EUB. Months later, they still bring a stool for me to every gig, and I always decline. I'm already on the backline, pretty well hidden for the most part, especially with a music stand in front of me. I agree with your post, and I suppose I might actually be hurting the fashion show aspect of the band's performance. Screw it, just do what's comfortable, and let your playing do the talking, no?

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IMHO, based on the stage images in my own head, sitting is only good for very smallish,,, very personal feeling venues,,, for mellow, or old-school blues...

Anything w/ any amount of energy DEMANDS you stand!!!

Hell, I even during my personal practice sessions, I stand...

15. standing...

sitting is all good,but does have its cons

16. +1...I cant imagine playing a gig and sitting down.

17. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I think sitting goes with the gig really. If you are doing some thrash metal gig for 5 hours you will want to sit, but it wont fit in well. If you are doing a folk country kinda style thing, you sit down. I always try to sit down, but the rest of the band stands up, so you feel left out.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Per his own words, he's been sitting on every gig since '69... if he's not lying. :D He sits quite high up though, with just a little bending of the knees... for easy rack/pedal access one would assume. See the attachment.

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    On your feet soldier!!!!!

20. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Yeah, it's a physical problem that has nothing at all to do with the bass.