1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Standel bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rob Leonard, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:55 AM.

1. Rob Leonard

Rob Leonard

Feb 16, 2019
  2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I had one back in the day when I first started playing. At the time a decent amp. But for $500 today you can get something MUCH better.

Rabidhamster, Aqualung60 and jerry like this.
  3. Rob Leonard

Rob Leonard

Feb 16, 2019
    I just kinda like it because it’s different, never seen a 2x15 Combo before. Are these solid state or tube?

4. Rob Leonard

Rob Leonard

Feb 16, 2019
    Oh...there’s no way in hell I’d pay $500.00 for it.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    When it was new I tried out a couple of those vertcally stacked. Was very loud but Sounded pretty sterile and were too awkward to load in/out.

Didn't buy it then. Wouldn't buy it now.

6. Rob Leonard

Rob Leonard

Feb 16, 2019
    Right, if I got it, probably wouldn’t leave the house!

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've forgotten all about those amps! fun to see pictures of one...it reminds me of my youth. (the painful part of my youth :laugh: .)

it also reminds me of how much better modern choices are = no comparison: and the standel was never at the top of the heap, anyway.

8. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Standel used to make tube and solid state amps. The one for sale is solid state.

Rob Leonard likes this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    For less money you can get a Fender Rumble 200 combo with a warranty.

Light weight and loud enough to gig with.

ELG60 and Rob Leonard like this.
  10. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Rob Leonard likes this.
  11. Rob Leonard

Rob Leonard

Feb 16, 2019
    Yeah I like those a lot!

12. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I had one! It was solid state, 100W, and pretty darn loud. Sounded great with my Ric 4005. With my cheap bass, not so great. Tough as nails: lost control of it once from the top of a flight of stairs. It summer salted down like a gymnast, then slammed into a wall. It still worked fine, and didn't have a mark on it. The plaster wall didn't fair nearly as well, LOL. I guess he priced it as "antique or vintage". Given the crappy condition....no way. Even mint, he's a bit high.

Rob Leonard likes this.
  13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    One thing about Standel amps is their peculiar approach to modular circuitry. They had small plastic boxes that were epoxies and had wires coming out if them. The idea was that if you had to service the amp, you could get green module or the red one and put it in place. The problem was after they went out of business it was essentially impossible for a local tech to figure out what exactly was in the defective module to make repairs.

BTW, Willie Nelson's amp (that's as much his sound as is Trigger, his beat up Martin nylon strung guitar) is a Standel.

The last paragraph is incorrect, Nelson's amp is a Baldwin

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    HolmeBass and Joedog like this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    A - this one not my message.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM
  15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Hartke tx600

16. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Seen Standels, oncluding these with accordian players.

PeteBass51 likes this.
  17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Way back when, I used and loved Standel. The super Imperial XV was a fav, built to compete with the Dual Showman and it did well. Sadly encapsulating components into changeable modules was not good. Remember the ones on those crazy stands the cabinets tilted every which way, looked cool and all that but did not make for good bass amp.

Mr. Crooks had some way cool ideas though.

About the time Standel and Gibson did the joint venture to form SG amps, I was on my way to other manufacturers.

No way I would cough up $500 for that machine, even if I had space and a use for it.

18. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Standel did the powered enclosure thing for a while. I knew a band that was louder than can be, and they were popular and racking in the coin. They just kept on buying those powered bottoms for PA. At one point they had so many they placed them under the stage facing every way but down.

19. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I had a Standel something like this in the late 60s/early 70s, think it was called a Super Artist or something like that. Had two JBL 15’s and sounded great.

However, I would never pay 500 for that amp today.

20. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Circa 1966 Ebb Tides Standel 67.

They were good solid state amps when we used them. Here'a an interesting read: Standel - Wikipedia