1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bathead, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Alright so for a while now I've been learning to play the bass while "sitting"... so couple weeks ago I go digging around for that guitar strap I never used I know its a crappy guitar strap so I adjust it and stuff get it at perfect level at my waist a little above something comfortable and looks cool,:hyper: ahhh *stretches arm out the first fret on the E string* Ah whats this??? I can't reaaaaaach, I know I have short arms and stuff but CMON is there anyway to make this work! :bawl:

Edit: Ok maybe I over exaggerated a bit I can reach the end of the bass but it's stressful to push down on the first fret because of the angle I have to put my hand in.

2. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Raise your heastock more towards perpendicular to the floor instead of parallel to the floor. The higher the head, the less your arm has to stretch. Kinda like this guy :bassist:
    If my bass is parallel to the floor, I have a hard time holding anything down at the first or second fret.......more upright for me :)

3. Adjust it higher. Sure, you won't look nearly as cool, but it'll be easier to play.

4. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Ok yeah I tried raising the neck higher and it works fine for the first and second frets :) But when I try and drop down the like the 6th or 8th fret It swoops back down is that OK? Sorry the noobishness and it's pretty comfortable at the level I have it but I'll try and and rise it a bit and see how it goes. Thanks :) :bassist:

5. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    The following won't work for everyone but give it a try: Rest your your bass more on your right hip and less on your belly. Now the headstock will be somewhere in front of your left shoulder rather than out to your left side.

You shouldn't need your left hand to keep the bass in position. Not ever! (well not if you play right handed!). If the axe is still too neck-heavy for you, you might wish to consider a less slippery strap, or moving the strap peg much higher up the body. Good luck!

6. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks, this all is helping me now I gotta put it in action,

I know I have a junky strap like I mentioned before so I gotta

get that one fixed lol. Till then, I'll try out your techniques

thanks for the help. :ninja:

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Another good idea I heard regarding positioning came from Billy Sheehan, I think. Along with David1234's suggestion, try to set the strap height so it's in absolutely the same position while you're sitting and standing. That way the transition'll be more natural. It's worked for me.

8. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Get a leather strap......those suckers never slip! I can let go of my bass, walk around, bend over and pick up the guitar players pic...and when I go back to it the bass is still in the same position :).

There are some basses that are head heavy and do neck dive... I don't like those. If yours is that way, +1 to moving the strap peg!

9. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Alright so I'm getting a new strap in the next week or so yay! :smug: But anyway I am a very small chick so... playing while standing is a bit more.. complex but I'm thinking if I practice standing a playing some songs I've learned before it'll get better and more comfortable. :D:bassist:

10. Muss

Muss

Nov 20, 2007
    set your strap while sitting, so when you'll stand up it will be at the same height= no problems, or any diffence playing sitting down or standing
    peace and love :)

11. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    +1

12. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Sounds like your bass is not well balanced, what kind of bass do you have? Go to a bass shop and see if this happens to you playing other basses as well.

13. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

+2

14. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    If you're bass is neck heavy (the headstock dives for the floor when you let go of the neck while on a strap), the issue is usually with the length of the upper horn. If your strap button is at the end of the upper horn, you can lengthen that connection by a half inch or so by putting on a straplock. If it's not, relocate it to the upper horn.

15. +3

If you practice a lot sitting down, it only makes sense to keep the bass in the same position when you're standing.

16. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Check out how Tal Wilkenfeld positions her bass...it may help you out give you some more ideas...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA&feature=related

17. G-sound

G-sound

Oct 30, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    I read on another forum about a guy who cut two of the bars out of an ankle weight and duct taped them to the bottom end of his strap. He wrote that the counterweight worked great and he hardly noticed the extra weight because of the better balance. Might be worth trying on your old strap rather than moving the button.