star grounding/grounding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by centralharbor, Feb 10, 2006.

1. centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    I wanted to know if someone could explain how to (possibly with pics) on how to do this. I was checking the FAQs and this is probably the only thing that you guys haven't covered
  2. PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    This thread, which I'd found in the Pickups FAQ sticky, has lots of info on star grounding:

Jazz Shielding Pictorial (Big Images Warning)

It's a great thread, though it might be easier for someone looking for info on star grounding to find if it were titled "Jazz Shielding/Star Grounding pictorial."

I'm about to have it done to my MIM Jazz V!

Paul "The Sak" Yeah
  3. centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks, I've seen it though. Maybe you could help me out. I wanted to know, what exactly is star grounding. Is it just having the ground connect to a screw attached to the body instead of the bridge?
  4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    True star grounding is where every component has a separate wire to a common ground point.

My tutorial uses "close enough" star grounding, with very few shared paths to ground. You won't hear any difference between it and "true" star grounding.

True star grounding is more important in high gain/voltage applications like an amplifier. Mine has some common paths to ground, but no multiple paths to ground.