1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starcaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gavin Jones, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gavin Jones

Gavin Jones

Feb 17, 2016
    I'm thinking about getting a starcaster bass. I read a review that said the headstock was a bit heavy. Does anyone who owns one have any information regarding this? Also how the performance and specs in general?

2. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Are you referring to the semi-hollow model or entry level jazz?

3. I just picked up the new Modern Player Starcaster bass. If that's the one you're taking about then it is a pretty heavy bass all around weighing in at a whopping 16.7 lbs! No neck dive though. It is well balanced.

4. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    What you mean one of these?!

Nice instrument, very playable being short scale and comfortable
    image.

5. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Just got one this week. It's heavy. No neck dive compared to my other Fenders and has the tonal range from P to J to Epi Rivoli. It's definitely a Fender but I love the range of sounds. It can pretty much do everything if you fool with pickup selection and tone control and add a pick now and then. But it's heavy....and the natural is beautiful in person as opposed to the photos. But it's heavy

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gavin Jones -
    I have one as well in sunburst, and it's killer.

The first three I came across (black & natural) were all logs - WAY too heavy for my taste. Luckily, I found a sunburst one at my local GC about a month later. It was the color I wanted anyway, and it was much lighter than the others.

After plugging it in, I was sold. The humbuckers sound great, and I love the pickup selector switch.

I strung mine with Thomastik flats, and it sounds awesome.

I suggest searching until you find a lighter one to your liking.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  7. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    image. I couldnt find one anywhere and was actually jonesing for black, but the natural turned out to be gorgeous. I don't mind the weight that much. Just heavier than my other semi hollows. It's sound is awesome and very different than my other semis. Different is awesome

8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    A semi hollow that is 16.7 pounds?! Is that the actual weight of the bass or the shipping weight?

RSBBass likes this.
  9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Sixteen pounds? I want to see that reading on a scale. I HOPE that's not accurate.

bholder likes this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mine's only 8.8 pounds, just weighed, though that's without strings and bridge and one pickup missing. All of which had better weigh less than another 8 pounds! Yikes!

nixdad likes this.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Canadian pounds?

mscBass and bholder like this.
  12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think it's safe to say the bass doesn't weigh 16 pounds. It might be the shipping weight but it's probably a bad scale.

13. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Sixteen pounds is unreal. Mine was 8.5. I bought it for the look of the headstock. I got rid of it bexcuse it just didn't get played enough.

nixdad likes this.
  14. basspedaler

basspedaler

Feb 18, 2013
    RDU-NC
    I've had 2 sunbursts. still own #2. It is on the heavy side, but balanced and plays great. I put the custom set of LaBella flats on mine, and that made it awesome. They come wired Gibson style-both volumes act like masters. I'm thinking about having mine changed to independent so I can vary the tone a bit more. The 'buckers are killer, btw..

nixdad likes this.